#4 The idea that prison violence is OK.
They're convicted felons - they deserve it!
It's better that they do it to eachother than to innocent people on the ouside.
Tell me something: what's the difference between vaginally raping a woman you stalk on her way home and sodomizing your cellmate? Since when do we determine crime by who the victim is? Isn't it entirely hypocritical to put someone in prison for some illegal/immoral activity but to turn a blind eye when they endure the same? Don't feed me the taste-of-their-own-medicine line. No, I don't think they "should know what it's like." Now you're saying that crime depends on context. It's bad when someone "innocent" and "defenseless" is being attacked but if it's someone who has knocked over a liquor store then they can probably handle some minor (or major, whatever) anal tearing. Who is "innocent" anyways?
I don't think it makes sense to use a criminal offense as a punishment for criminals. If the criminality of an act changes based on context then that totally undermines the idea of a moral standard that our justice system should be founded on. [Incase you were thinking it, killing is different from murder.] If x is wrong - and we must be dealing with moral absolutes for the law to work, right? - then x is always wrong, unconditionally.
Let's not even talk about the killings and beatings.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Is there some context to this post or are you just speaking generally? Your comment about anal tearing was shocking but pertinent. I often think that we easily fall into the Corinthian kind of thinking which Paul had to rebuke by saying, "who sees anything different in you." That is, we often think that, like you say, we deserve better treatment than some other person(as if we haven't grossly offended the creator of the universe; I use the royal "we"). You are right. Grace has no limits. Thank you for your frank comments and thoughts.
Um... I don't know exactly what the context would be or there was any but then I wouldn't see how I was speaking generally either. Oh, if you're asking if I am addressing a specific person's point of view/statements or some recent incident/conversation then the answer is no. "things that piss me off" generally take a while to get published. Ha.. now I just sound like a loser.
I wouldn't have even gotten that far, to say that we should not expect to be treated better than anyone else, but you're most certainly right. Good point, I likes.
Post a Comment