I could say much of the same thing about this film as I did about the last one.
I mean, the thing I noticed most was that there was no background music when there didn't need to be. There were also some awkward moments that seemed to last longer than usual (for Hollywood) but because of that were that much more real. I mean it's too familiar to bump into people you don't want to see and to fumble through 90 of the worst, most forced seconds of your life...
The skeleton of the story (the metanarrative?) was somewhat predictable, in that you could guess with little doubt that the two main characters would "end up together". But the way it placed out, the way it was spaced out, the way people were different and had querks. The way some things didn't turn out rosy... the way some characters disappeared, and how things didn't turn out as planned... I liked it. It was interesting. And strangely, I'm not jealous.
I really liked how the film's first setting was like the mid-90s and I remember that time. FINALLY, I get to look back at something nostalgiacally.... I've never had that. I guess I've never been old enough but also, no one's ever really wanted to set their film in that time. I understand why the writer(s) needed to, for this film; it's algebra. But wow... I feel so weird being able to look back on a time that was, and say, "I remember that! I remember that..." and feel that sense of loss but that sense of appreciation that I have something to miss and I had something to experience.
You know what it is? It's like finally a romantic comedy I can respect. Finally, finally. Why doesn't anyone see things the way I do?
7.8/10
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hellooooooo..... JESS!!!
Romantic comedies can be fun to watch if one if feeling particularly warm and fuzzy. I have not seen the one that you have mentioned, however. But I trust your good taste:)
Tell Sara W. to call me btw; she was supposed to like 3 weeks ago:)
Hope you're doing well... I'll email you soon.
Post a Comment