#5 That parents or guardians who rape or sexually molest children under the age of 14 in Ontario get a maximum of five years in prison (the minimum, I think, is 6 months).
["Piss me off" doesn't seem to be an appropriate phrase here... I think it takes away from the weight of the concept. Whether or not I am pissed is completely irrelevant. The fact that adults are encouraged to violate children is not really about me at all. A more appropriate title might be, "things that are wrong."]
#6 When my mom's side of the family attacks my dad's side (or more often, my dad).
I don't understand why they think that low blows are acceptable... I don't understand how you can be so utterly mean (and think that I, or my siblings, would just let it slide).
Worst of all, I don't understand why we do let it slide.
The amount of pain and frustration I feel over this, the extent to which I feel utterly trapped & helpless is so overwhelming that I don't really know how to write or finish this post. I pray for change.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
#6 is a far more common predicament than you might think. I grew up in a family that echoed this exact sentiment.
Why DO we let it slide?
I often wished I was my mother's peer so that I could rebuke her as a friend and not as a daughter and somehow (completely unavoidably) come across as disrespectful.
*sigh*
On the plus side it has influenced me to commit to never disrespecting Jamie privately and ESPECIALLY not publicly. And never in front of our kids.
C'est tout.
That's... hmm. That's somewhat comforting. I'm glad I'm not the goose on the planet.
And what you said about wishing to be a peer is EXACTLY what I wish I could have. Do we ever get to that point? I wouldn't take that kind of thing from anyone else, I'd blow up in their face...What an unfortunated double standard. I don't get it.
Post a Comment