As if I haven't posted in seven days...
My favorite little treat of this morning was finding three full pages of color comics in the recycling at work. You better believe I snagged it and read it on my mini-breaks (there were many). I enjoyed it. I love comic strips. I used to read them every Saturday when my moms got the Toronto Star delivered. Yep. She definitely used to sit on the floor in the living room (or maybe at the kitchen table) and make her way through the whole paper with a cup of coffee.
I enjoyed watching the pilot episode of House M.D. on Wednesday evening.
When I first heard about House I dismissed it under the same umbrella as Lost, 24, Desperate Housewives...even The Office. Somehow I have an aversion to popular shows...when they're actually on the air. Then when I watched half of an episode (turns out it was ..late in Season 2) a while ago I was distrubed when I heard Hugh Laurie faking an American accent. The whole time he was speaking I was like, "What is this? What is this? This is outrageous!" ... so I boycotted.
Then I watched a full episode by accident in mid-April (it was a lazy weeknight with two friends and the TV just rolled into that show after another and I didn't mind) and was compelled by the drama and interested by the medical details. (Oh, I'm a sucker, apparently.)
Then I started watching it on purpose, a little while ago and I think I like it. The accent has stopped bothering me (which is sad, in a way) and the problem-solving aspect of the show entertains me greatly. I suppose this would essplain why House, Numb3rs and CSI: NY as a threesome every weeknight is such a hit with me. What a great line-up.
Anyways, now that I've seen two dozen eps, watching the pilot was very interesting. It's really cool to evaluate a first episode with half of the second season under your belt. What I did not appreciate was that some of the jokes were overt and had to play cheaply to a predictable audience. I suppose I understand why this was....I get that you can't always jump right into something new and expect your audience to jump on board right away. I suppose they had a good balance of familiar and innovative.
What I did appreciate was how Dr. House ended up telling each of this three minions why he hired them. I especially liked what he shared with Dr. Cameron, that he chose her because she was "extremely pretty". (Outrage!) She began defending herself, citing her dang impressive credentials and, in a gradual way, House acknowlegded and agreed with them all.
"People choose the paths that get them the greatest amount of rewards for the smallest amount of effort. That's the law of nature. You defied it. That's why I hired you. You could have married rich, could have been a model; you could have just shown up and people would have given you stuff -- lots of stuff...but you didn't. (You) worked your stunning little ass off."
I want to say that there was a better way he could have expressed himself but... perhaps getting her ire up by starting with a seemingly rude comment was a great way to make sure she would listen or take him seriously. Hmmm... He never disagreed with her or said something bad about her. He said she was pretty....and that she was qualified...It just started off a little harshly. I enjoyed the moment.
end of post.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment