Saturday, 12 July 2008

I'm seeing things change and I like it. Now that I've said it, have I ruined it?

Ahem.



AHEM!

Last night we had a barbeque chez moi. The idea was proposed to me around 9pm Wednesday. So, my Thursday was given largely to making preparations. It wasn't just a BeeBs but also a Euchre party so I needed to find five more players (we wanted two tables).

This is what I ended up spewing to the person who had proposed the BeeBs on Thursday night.
can I just take a moment to be frank and say I'm not a huge fan of the fact that you gave me this idea last night..and most of the work seemed to fall on me...? now that the moment's passed, I'm over it.
It came near the end of a logistics email, sorta stood out (in my mind, anyways) and at present I'm not quite sure if I regret it or not.

The get-together went quite well. We ended up with only six Euchre players so we made the second table into a Dutch Blitz hub. It went well. The food was awesome and plenty, the company was pleasant and cooperative, there's a plum on my desk that I should probably get rid of....ah...the games were good and people stayed til shortly before midnight which makes me happy. I was happy that peeps was able to stay, mostly cuz it was a Friday night, I guess.


---

I was supposed to be at work for 7 this morning. I first greeted the day at about 07h03 and so I threw my head back down to yell, CRAP (but not actually outloud) and to assess my new strategies for minimizing pain and suffering. The next time my eyes were open, it was 07h48. I'm a cool kid like that.

What makes it even BETTER is that I knew I had a lunch with a friend at noon, and that I needed to be at church early the next day which meant crap sleep. I'd need to be at work for 4am which means I'd have to find a nap somewhere in the course of today and then find the hours to work on the church pres I'm doing tomorrow. :

I was not relishing the thought of how my day would go. NOT NOT NOT.
Last night I bedded at 2am..the night before it was 3 and I was up at 6.45....ugh. It's just not good to pile these things up. (Anyone seeing a trend here?)

I breezed in the front door and went straight up to the offices where I knew my boss wouldn't be. I thought I'd exploit some ambiguity of arrival time by making the first time she sees me AFTER I'd already completed some work. On my way down, I spy her over the railing, next to the vaccuum. I thought I'd wait til I heard her turn it on so I could possibly sneak round and get to my next task vissout her seeing me. She didn't turn it on. She must have just finished.

I have this moment of juvenile panic and indecision, knowing that the longer I wait the longer I'll be waiting...

On my way to work, I had been half-praying, half-telling God that I didn't even want to ask for mercy this morning cuz I thought I was the majorest of screw-ups. An hour late, really?

I finally say I'll bite the bullet and ALMOST asked for mercy. .... Those were some long stairs. I studied the carpet rather well.

She half looked up and half smiled when she saw me. Good morning, goodmorning.
"I was just gonna go look for your number to call ya ..cuz I thought maybe yesterday was your last day."
"No, no; I just slept in."
"Ohhh," she smiles more-ly. "That's OK."
A second later in my head, "WHAT??!" God, what?

Aie.... It's.. I mean it was my last weekend so I could see why she'd be lax (and I knew that it would be light-duty this morning and no one would be coming in til much later) but still. Sheesh.

Under-
esti-
mated.

Wow. A few moments later she's asking if I wanted to come in tomorrow. I say, "I can but I'd have to come in really early cuz I need to leave at 8." She informs me that SHE probably won't even come in... so I don't need to worry about it.
So, I don't need to worry about it.

So I don't need to worry about it! Ahh-

Hmmm. That means I get to sleep tonight. That means I get to wake up at 7.30 instead of staying up through la nuite...oh FRABJOUS day! Calloo callay!

I got home and my lunch date called...she wanted to catch a bus home at noon. So, seeing as it was almost eleven at this point we decided we'd hang out on Sunday afternoon...Oh, I'm a fan of Sunday afternoon. :)

The moral of the story is, God just gave me a day that I didn't think I had and I'm overwhelmed just a little. (oxy moron)

I suppose this means He wants me to do well with the presentation, in planning it and in being mostly rested for the execution. Well great. I'd better get on it, yo.

2 comments:

Katie V. said...

Awesome! Who sleeps in after they have already found out they slept in? How did your presentation go? We still need to come up with that phone date. Wed nights are good for me sometimes. Actually most nights after 10pm and before 1130 are goods

Jesskah said...

Who sleeps in after they've slept in? Well, cool people and raggamuffins like me. Oh shame.

Phone date, yes. I shall FB you about it soonly.

Zhe présentation, she went well. I shall tell you more about in the futch...slash, I actually should write a blog about it. werd.