I'm watching some old oldie episode of the Simpsons....it's a different show, in a lot of ways. But um there were two different lil scenes in the opening montage which..I like. I feel like I'm witnessing history is what I said out loud.
Earlier today I spent the better part of an hour listening to an informal concert. I enjoyed it wonderfully. ..I should probably tell them that....
After that there was an hour or two of a light dinner and somewhat awkward conversation with the musicians' family members.
After that there was some rando jamming and then the introduction of one of the most ghetto 70s-hoppin electric organs I have ever met.
After that I was asked to dissect some music. It was a unique experience (always is) talking to one person who is presently learning the rudiments of music theory, one who has studied SOME music theory two years ago and one who did Grade 1 RCM Theory ten years ago. The last one was the one who asked me to dissect. The first one took it all in quietly. The middle thoroughly impressed me with how quickly he picked up what I was saying and slipped into the lingo. He asked about the note which is half way between the 4 and 5. I said it was an augmented fourth and he didn't look like he believed me. He said there was another name for it and I wanted to say 'diminished fifth' but I knew that wasn't what he was looking for. I thought about it a little longer and then offered, "Tritone?" "Yeah!" he exclaimed. Then he told the guitarist that's what he was looking for...by way of an example, he mentioned the opening of the Simpson's theme. I distinctly remember turning to my student and pointing back incredulous, "Holy crap!" It's not a big deal, really but I was impressed that he knew exactly what interval he was looking for and that he could pull up an example so quickly.
He also found a ii-V-I when I had overlooked it, thinking there was only a V-I, not knowing what to do with the preceding chord. (I forgot it was minor and not major....but that he picked up on it...wow.) There was some other random moment in which he told the guitarist that what he was looking for was a IV....it came out so off-handed and non-chalant...I couldn't believe it. I consider my mind officially boggled.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
that's one of the most famous examples of that interval! my music teacher in Keyboarding 101 at guelph used the Simpsons song as an example when describing that interval.. i'm not sure many people can describe another example at all!
Oh, Silas, how dare you patronize me. (no question mark)
I was working from the assumption that he had no training...so for someone who I thought didn't know anything about theory it was impressive. no one ever used that examp with me..I didn't know it was so popular.
that interv is also in "How Great Thou Art" at the end of the chorus... it's also in "I Stand in Awe"..in the last line of the chorus as well. But I suppose churchio music isn't as rampant as the Simpos. now I'm gonna go on a hunt for all the x4 I can find. done.
Post a Comment