Thursday, 25 December 2008

Aiehhhh! (with lots of Hs)

ShooooSH. I have talked to many family members today. EEEpaleema.

I called my dad's house and started with brother 1. We had a dece chat and then he passed me to my dad (who apparently was calling brother 1 stupid, as my dad does when either my sister or I is on the telephone), saying that I should come back to him after I talked with the others. I made him fill me in on the last two months because, with the exception of yesterday, I hadn't talked with him ince the 9th of October. :( It was a great fill-in..maybe something for another post..though it's not my story to tell.*
So I talk to Dad briefly-ly which is VERY out of the ordinary for him but it was just about dinner time there and as the chef, he was a bit preoccupied. Fair, fair.
Then, I think I ended up with brother 2 who I wasn't prepared for and wish, wish, WISH to the heavens I had been. :( Anyways, twas good at least to talk like normal folk and to hear such an improvement just in his voice since the last time we talked and in his life. I'm happy for him but should def call back before too much more time has elapsed.
Then I think I ended up with my stepmom's mom (who is just too lovely for words) who made me feel very mommed
and soon I was to be passed to the stepmom but sister 2 intercepted. She didn't really have anything to say which is fine. I was just happy that she'd initiated.
Then stepmom for an ALL TOO SHORT "conversation". She's the talker. No...she's the one with which I have a two-way talk and I appreciate that VERY much, esp in this family. She gives me the updates on everyone else that they don't really give. But still, it was Christmas evening and things werr bizzy!
I spoke with the littlest sister who SOUNDED LIKE SHE WAS GOING TO CRY when she said, "I want you guys to come over." You guys are my sister and I - neither of us would be around for Christhams. OH, that girl broke my heart. Sheesh....not much else to say about that except I'm so sad for her sad face and there's nothing I can do about it. Cept make sure I go see her when I get back.

[side-thought: is this the price of missionary work, God?]

Then there was little brother number 4 (age 8) who is getting older every day. He told me he really liked the present I sent him. Then he made a weird joke about a goat which I laughed at VERY loudly.
Next, I was talking to brother #3 and he was nice enough with small-talk. His voice is higher pitched than I remember it. Maybe his underwear's too tight today. Who knows?? After all this I was back to brother 1, as planned.
We talked some more, I ran though my list of 45 films I've seen in-country because I have started to turn into him. He walks along the New Releases wall in Blockbuster and doesn't find any discs he hasn't already viewed on the big screen. It's scary in its own way. Even after watching 0.54 films per day (I did the maths because that's how cool I am), I got nothin on 'im. Kinda makes me feel good in a way.

I agreed to call him tomorrow when he goes to our Nana's place in Kitchener. That'll be fun. I'm so proud of brother 1; he be growing up. Em... yeah. Yeah, it'll be nice to speak with her as I was thinking of calling her today, anyway. I got a text round 10 to 9 EST (that's 10 to 2, GMT) asking if I could call Grandpa because he was asking for me.

:

Shooooooosh. I did NOT want to do that. I didn't have a choice, though, did I? I decided there was no good reason for me to remain an awkard granddaughter...there's no reason. Today may as well be the day I speak with him as an adult.
The conversation went pretty well. I enjoy the sound of his voice and really enjoy his laugh. I was thinking about him, too, earlier today because I was playing the piece I'd music-ed from his lyrics. He gave me those lyrics in..2005 or 2004 and he still doesn't know I've done the job. Sheesh. Yeah, that's a bit of a tale in itself.
He also called me out..which is entirely new. He said, "Yeah...I was very surprized that I didn't hear about you going.." He didn't know I was in Scotland til just today when he called Dad's house. Meh. A long story in its own way but also ..somewhat not nice? I dunno. Something I need to work through.


Oh and my mum's here in Edinburgh so I spend a goooot chunk of time with her. I love that we had ghettolicious falafels from paper bags for Christmas dinner. It fits in its own way.
This is the year I see the lure of spending Christmas with NOT family - or more specifically, spending Christmas night down pub with friends. I REALLY like this idea and should like to see if I can hook it up for next year or whenver. Also? Yeah. YEAH. My dad's house apparently stayed up til 6 on Christmas Eve and then started Christham Day at 10. :( OH, the jealousy that rages through my veins. PFffffffT!
I want to say "next year" but I fear...I fear I might not be around next year, either.


*So, Bernard Shaw, I think the only thing I will say about this is a question. I am wondering how important or fruitful it is - in God's eyes - to make a profound impact on another person's life if it's not for the Gospel or facilitating a route to the Gospel. I am NOT trying to make the "good person" argument but I fear I'm straying next to that path anyways.
I wonder what good it is...cuz to me it seems to be very good indeed. I ...want to know about this. And I need...a story to back it up. I hope I remember that I want to explore this further for the next time I post.

MC!

[EST]

1 comment:

Beth said...

"Maybe his underwear's too tight today."

Ha. Only an older sister could/should say this :)