Today I saw the following:
I saw that start of a spark on a guy's face when talking (but actually wordlessly communicating) with a woman. It's really magical. I thought I was imagining it by the way they sat together; then I was shocked by something he said to her as part of a group exercise. Put the three together and I really hope I'm right because I think they could do well together.
I saw more chest hair than I wanted to. (Honest - I don't know if I've ever wanted to see chest hair but, you know, sometimes you see it and you don't care. You don't even see it. You move on. Other times you're half expecting to see prosciutto and gelato appear cos FRIG, that's hairy.)
I saw a friend exhibit body language that restored a lot of confidence and removed a lot of anxiety about the friendship, especially in light of some selfish mistakes I've made lately. This is also in light of an email I wrote the day before last to try to clear some stuff up which I think actually produced enough relief in him that...well...things went back to the way they were. I missed it and I screwed it up, sure but much to my rich surprize, apparently nothing's changed. I got such a surge of elation at this...the news of a restored relationship is grand.
[The body language, it said, "I'm sad to leave you." Which, unfortunately translates to, "You mean something to me." Yikes.]
I saw a look on a pseudo-stranger's face which prompted me to say to my table-mate, "Wow....I haven't seen that smile in a long time." It sounded like I haven't seen the smile of this particular person in a while and while that's technically true, it's not what I meant. Man, that's the kind of thing that an adoring father says about his daughter who's been away at camp for six weeks or something. ... He's holding her face in his hands, surveying with fatherly pride.
In this situation I was referring to the type of smile that was flashed; it's one that can't be hidden and tries to be something else. It couldn't be hidden because he was flustered but he was our server so it could try to be the smile of polite waitstaff. We've talked briefly on just a few occasions once about a t-shirt and once about Spongebob (THAT was a great conversation; a deal-maker) and then I bumped into him in a different city (on a GO bus and I almost completely chickened-out...I half regret it). So we acknowledge and we smile but I don't know his name. We don't know each other. [If you've ever seen Spin City, he's my Hey Guy.]
But, man, today I made the kid nervous. He flushed and didn't make much eye-contact. He knew it was my drink (because my friend already had hers....) and I was the one talking to him... but he kept pretending he was talking to her.. tennis-ing his head back and forth as if he was confused about the order or something.
I saw JT and Samberg do a follow-up to "D in a B" which...almost made my day. It was graebus. I have often said, "They need to make more of these," after watching that vid...because even though it's a straight-up mockery, it's really good. I enjoy it. Now to more! Who knows what's next? There were quite a few skits in last nights SNL episode that I was pleasantly surprized by. Then there were some which I would like to call abysmal. What other program has such polarized quality of output? Hm?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment