The Hurt Locker (2009): actually really cool (said with a light, arching optimistic tone). I'm surprized I liked it and even MORE surprized that my enjoyment was torqued up in the closing 20 minutes. I find with films like this, my enjoyment tends to plummet in the closing minutes. I'm...really impressed. I'm impressed that I was able to sincerely LIKE a film like this. I rented it because it's been nominated for nine Academy Awards and I'm trying to get my research on, in advance of March the 7th.
Hmmm. One of the main characters, SFC William James, he really got under my skin which I appreciated. I appreciate when a film makes me talk back to it, without even realizing it.
Like many critically acclaimed war movies, this one gave me a slightly new perspective on war. It mercifully gave me a kind of insiders' perspective (if I trust Hollywood to be accurate -- which I think they are held to on pain of death when it comes to depicting the troops) and managed to be unmanipulative. I feel like I really GOT it, and I say that fully open to being told, "Nope, you didn't get it at all, and you never will."
I liked it and I don't know what else to say about it. About an hour in, I wondered what a respectable Canadian citizen is supposed to do to support the troops. I donno how it works.
I'd watch it again/buy it. Maybe I can say it had good "character development". That phrase has been misused... so I am trying not to be flippant but there was some depth and interplay there which I thought was fantastic.
Anyways...I'm saying nothing right now so let's end it.
8.7/10
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment