Friday, 5 November 2010

OK. Weird of weird?

On Monday, when I was about to affix a poppy to my shirt, I thought of how I had seen someone else affix theirs on Sunday. I didn't watch them put it on but I saw them wear it in a way I'm not familiar with. And as I tramped across the lawn (bad!) leaving my house in a rush and finished securing the thing, I became aware of some crazy older-brother complex I had stepped into. But I was like the younger brother, though, more than a younger sister.
I realized that something in my brain said in a way that's so simple it's gotta be childlike (childish?), "Well if he does it that way, I'm gonna do it that way." The implication is that Jeff wants to be like Sam so he asks mom for the same kind of sneakers or gels his hair the same way or whatever.
I thought it was funny. I was a little surprized at myself. I've never done something just because someone I admire is doing it. It's a funny feeling. I think with brothers it can be an amazing thing.

Just a few moments ago I took a final swig of the dregs of my tea which I accidentally put too much masala in. (Imagine it like your tea bag broke or something. Or the hot chocolate powder that turns into a grossly sugary goop, often like that produced by Tim Hortons.) And in that split-second where I was not enjoying it and wishing I hadn't drank it I considered the option of spitting it back out and I am SURE I wouldn't have done it if I hadn't just watched an episode of "The Big Bang Theory" (2007-present) where Sheldon spat out a shot of whatever (tequila?) about three times because he either thought he could handle it or forgot what it tasted like, I donno. He spat it back into the shot glass. It was ridiculous and kinda funny. It was also gross...because of the froth. But anyways, as I spat my tea back out I was thinking, "Am I actually doing this?" cos it's so juvenile/pansy but watching someone else do it somehow allowed me to make an excuse or something, I donno.
I knew it wouldn't taste great because the sip before was a bit intense but I wanted to muscle through partly to continue my lifelong battle against pansy-ness (i.e. giving up on or avoiding something because it makes me uncomfortable or is unpleasant) and partly to remind myself to be more careful in the future when preparing this drink. I think..maybe it worked. I donno. I blogged about it so it must be just at least a little bit significant.

Oh, influence.

No comments: