Tuesday, 30 November 2010

triet XIX

first time I've been able to* accompany myself singing "Killing Me Softly" which is a song I've sung and loved for many, many years -- Sunday

first time I've enjoyed Earl Grey tea /first time I've asked for Earl Grey -- Saturday / Monday

first time I've been riveted by a genealogy/the reading of a genealogy (and I mean "riveted" like I had to remind myself a few times to breathe in) -- Sunday


*because I was taught the rudiments of music theory, given ear and transcribing training, I haven't needed to figure out the chords to 95% of songs with the use of another instrument (piano, guitar, banjo, accordion, Zelda for N64) for a good ten years or so. I listen and I hear the music in numbers. (I use Roman numerals so I can put the song into whichever key I choose or so I can put it into the original key once I am using some other instrument.)
Then there are songs like "Killing Me Softly" which I find so gorgeous that I don't want to "figure them out" because I like not knowing. I like being unable to pick them apart (like "Blackbird" which I have still somehow managed to avoid drawing up blueprints for) because sometimes Roman numerals are incredibly distracting. Like...if Superman could never turn his x-ray vision off..he would stop seeing people and it would become difficult to interact with them, I imagine. I don't want to get lost in the nuts & bolts sometimes; I just want to swim in the music.
For some reason, though, on Sunday I wanted to give dissection a shot. It took a couple minutes and I'm still not 100% sure of it but I don't care because it was very fun to sing. (78) I'm really happy about it. I feel sorry for the next guitar player I cross who doesn't know I'm going to ask them to play for me. For some reason I think it would just sound better on a six-string. And with a fat bass. ha. It's like I'm planning to cut an album.
(I'm not.)

No comments: