Today - now that I'm home - feels a whirlwind of insanity. I woke up to an email that kicked my ass.
I headed to campus to see if a faculty advisor would sign a waiver that said the third-year English lecture I took last semester would count as a third-year English lecture (no I didn't make a mistake in that explanation). She printed some sheets, grabbed a sheet, I pulled up a doc and eventually she signed the waiver. She said she was well at ease doing it. (I didn't twist her arm.)
I felt elated for a while. I went downstairs to some other important people to get it officialised and now I wait but I'm well within the 14 September deadline for such a waiver.
Yeah.
So, I get an undergrad degree.
I don't mean to poop on it but I am now having a few questions about why undergrad degrees are important. For now I'm happy. I think I'm happiest because it's like I persevered after I failed so miserably at something. Most things at which I fail, I leave alone. I actually tend to sweep them under the carpet or bury them in the back yard. I don't handle failure too well and I hope the HS will teach me how to since I'm just not perfect and failure is inevitable.
I'm glad, relieved, and grateful. Now to deal with the feedback is a different story but Holy Spirit, I'm counting on You.
Saturday, 8 September.
I went into work to pick up my paycheque. I was still deciding whether I was going to retract my offer to cover Saturdays til the regular Saturday-er returned in mid-October. I felt like I was going insane trying to grapple with being around that long. It seemed so wrong to change my mind like that (and I offered because I know that shift doesn't fit the availability of any other coworker) but the thought of staying is so repulsive. I donno.
I asked a wise and kind friend of mine for advice. The email (the one which kicked my butt first thing in the morning, really before I was actually awake) went as follows:
Jesskah, your word is your bond. When you've lost your word you've lost
everything. Always say what you will do and do what you say.
You promised five Saturdays [so] you give 5 Saturdays although strictly in the gospel you give 10.
Matthew 5:41-42
Jesskah, I think you have to do it. It's five more weeks to witness wow! What as opportunity!
I didn't want to hear it. I hated it, really. I resented it. But I thought about it all day. I was going to drop into work at 1pm and this was 8am. I found it quite difficult to read the email and process the information "objectively". I was trying to hear that God says I should do it. That it would be BETTER if I did it. I ....struggled. Murkiness of a nineteenth-century murder mystery.
Around 9.15, a coworker I was texting told me that two new employees had been hired and my last day was Tuesday.
WOW. (I wanted to type "hallelujah" there but it sounds weird.)
I am very grateful....but I feel weird not knowing whether I would have kept my word or not. Jesus knows what I would have done but I don't and it's weird thinking that His mercy was extended at this time. I was reading about Abraham and Isaac just yesterday and this would be like God saying, "Do not lay a hand on the boy," before Abraham had even headed to the place God told them about. Before he'd gotten the wood and built the altar. Fascinating. I don't know what to say. If this is just a display of His mercy then... I get it. MESSAGE RECEIVED.
Still, the unknown is weird. And now it's super easy to say I would have gone through with it. I would have stayed at that job til the 6th of October. YUCK. I .. don't know. I need God's mercy more than I realise.
At work it was OK with my coworker and I got to chat with a gal at Tims who I've been meaning to nail down coffee with.
My boss said only, "thank you," when I came for my cheque and that's all I said in return. Every other such Friday he has loads to say. Something small talk-ish or something work-related. I think now he's getting sadder because I have three days left. I don't know. I need to ask God what He wants me to say to my boss because I think this is a critical time. I think my boss will still hear me. I hope he hasn't lost too much respect for me. There is much to say.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment