Saturday, 3 October 2009

preach it!

I missed the introduction to the mini pre-game interview some Sportsnet commentators were having with Cito Gaston. I could only guess that some mild scandal was afoot. And then even after the game and during the rain delay there were more interviews and uncannily I missed critical information due to other sound interference.

Then after the game I finally got as close to the full story as I could. (I knew right away that I had caught it too late to be allowed the privilege of hearing the story from the top because now "everybody knows". Kinda like...when people talk about, "that think with Kanye." If you don't already know, you are DEFINITELY not going to ask.)

Anyways, around the third time that a Sportsnet anchor used the word "mutiny" quite unfairly making this into a bigger deal than is helpful -- especially when then admittedly don't know much and haven't spoken to more than a handful of involved parties -- I concluded, "why didn't they just talk about this stuff in-house?"

Of course, being a certified counselor, professional coach and all-around experienced person, my opinion is pretty educated and important.

I don't know the half of it and I don't need to. It's really their business. I would be....sad if something terrible befell a team that I happen to like but at the end of the day, that's OK. However, if I were allowed to give an opinion, I would say that this [whatever] issue should have been dealt with head-on and promptly by parties who are directly involved. It shouldn't have spread further because of intimidation or gossip (and yes, I know this is easy to say when you're not in the midst of it).

Listening to Gaston after I understood the gist of everything, I unfortunately thought I would end up siding with the players if push came to shove. The way he talks - I know that way. I've heard those people - I've had conflict with those people. When they talk like they "don't understand what the big deal is" and give you the impression that a) they know exactly what the surface problem is and b) they have no clue what the actual problem is or how deeply it runs... then you know it will be a long and dirty fight to even get to the point of seeing eye-to-eye, nevermind the point of resolution.

It's the talk of a bully... a sort of demanding person who is very aware of their position above yours and how little they have to do to keep you happy.

Well...I say this in the wake of one interview. And, I admit that it is opposite to all my previous observations about him. So I will just say now that I'm fully prepared to eat my words.

The following, however, is the reason I posted. From an article quoting the Jays' catcher, Rod Barajas.

"You can't sit there and let problems linger," Barajas said. "A small problem starts growing into a bigger problem, and all of a sudden, if you let this go for another four months, who knows what could happen? So if there are some issues, then absolutely you'd want to be able to talk to whoever you need to talk to to try to resolve them.

"You don't want to go into a brand new season with a whole set of issues. It's going to make for an unhappy season."


I'm reading this and feeling great relief. Thank God someone has their head on straight. I'll admit it! I think that professional athletes can be very puffed up and make demands like the princesses their inflated salaries insist they are. But...I only see what's televised and I've never met any of them so let me stop making assumptions. But Barajas...good on ya, mate for being level-headed and sensible.

Bastian, Jordan. "Barajas hoping to return to Jays in 2010." _MLB.com_. 2001-2009. MLB Advanced Media, L.P.. 03 October, 2009. [http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20091002&content_id=7295626&vkey=news_tor&fext=.jsp&c_id=tor]

No comments: