Monday, 28 September 2009

Sunday Funday!

Well... I had a wonderful Sunday. It was pockmarked with incredibly frustrating and maddening moments but I made it through and the good parts almost eclipse the less-than-awesome ones.

I got to attend the Jays final home game of the season with my mom, her husband and my mom's friend. (My mother's friend won four tickets in the field level baseline section.) It was great. When I got past the turnstyle and could see straight ahead out onto the field I felt like I was floating. I had built this game and this day and this team and this experience up so much in my head in the days leading up but mostly on the day of and drive down, getting ridiculously more and more intense as I neared the Sky Dome. And now that I was HERE it was surreal. Those are the real players..! That's the actual diamond...this is the game I watch at home and now I'm here, close enough to see Jose Bautista's facial expressions. (That man is cool as a cucumber, for the record.)
I had a blast. I really enjoyed it. I wish I hadn't missed my turn-off off the 401 and cost myself an extra 50 minutes which, in a game where both pitchers were striking out three batters an inning, meant being absent for about 4 innings. It's lame, I know. I am still kicking myself. But it was great. I was continuously thinking, "I gotta come back, I gotta come back," looking forward more and more to April of 2010. It's very nice to be around other people who are cheering for the same thing (we all know the feeling). I find it bitter-sweet that the attendance was so good for this season closer (about 38 000). It's great that peeps come out to support but it's disappointing that they aren't there during the rest of the season. :(
Anyhow...the announcer mentioned Tallat's five strike-outs and reminded us that if he/the team got seven strike-outs in total, each ticket holder in the stadium would be entitled to a free slice of Pizza Pizza pizza the following day. So for two different batters in the next two innings when they had two strikes on the count, people would start cheering "pizz-a, pizz-a" which I found quite hiliarish. They weren't cheering for the pitcher, no.
Oh man...such a fun experience that I don't even want to continue with the descriptions. I'll just ruin it. I wanna go back. Can't believe I turned into a real fan when the season was just finishing. O well.

Something I would like to do before I'm thirty:
See a home game of every MLB club in the league. I think this will be expensive and potentially impossible (like Yankees or Bosox? do they ever NOT sell out? these are things I need to research) but I would love to say I've done it. :)

No, I think that's it. I was going to write more about Sunday but it sounds lame. I thought earlier today that the only way I can really "express" all my joy from yesterday is to channel it elsewhere. I have to look forward to 12th April 2010, to the remaining three games of this regular season, the postseason... just gotta flow it. I need to relieve this pressure or I'm going to tie myself up in knots. It is ridiculous. But....I thank God for it. I'm actually incredibly (vocally) grateful to God for how much fun this is and specifically for this opp of this weekend. It makes me happy. (42)

Pockmarks included calling my bank three times to get them to transfer enough funds to my credit card to rent a car (I didn't know about the deposit), having them lie to me about stupid things (this is frustrating because they have their chirpy customer service voice on while they're saying things that aren't true thinking they're being helpful; while I'm watching my ideal departure time slip away and the clerks at the rental place stop believing that I even have the money) and eventually leaving 30 minutes later than I should have been able to; the ugliness of downtown and north Toronto for motorists; getting a parking ticket (even though it was deserved...I was just frustrated by the hoops I'd have had to jump through to pay properly ..and it was the top of the fifth...I had to go) and I think that's it. Mostly missing the game is what made me sad that day, through one thing that wasn't my fault and one that was. I kept thinking, "If it weren't for THIS, then I'd still have x-number of extra minutes." Oh, regret! I am presently teaching myself the philosophy of "sunk costs".

No comments: