I went to a neighbouring city with the primary objective of investigating a potential job/job offer. I found that the secondary reason could be dropping off my passport to be renewed.
I was (graciously) given a lift in and out of town which didn't save as much money as it did hassle. It also reminded me of how important it is becoming for me to own a car.
I started walking toward the potential-job place just before 8am. I wanted to know where it was but I was planning to stop and find breakfast before I went in because talking to a prospective hiring person is something I'd like to do with an undistracted and high-functioning brain. And this wasn't a grab-a-muffin morning, either. I needed to sit and get some kinda eggs and toast deal.
![]() |
This potential job offerer was not in. He contacted me a few weeks ago and had been trying to set up a phoneterview since but just couldn't seem to find the time. Because I had been given Tuesday off work and because I could get there easily & cheaply, I thought I might drop in...show some initiative. He wasn't there. I felt weird but kinda relieved about it. It gave me an idea of how to write a promptatious email.
[written Wednesday the 27th]
I walked across the street to the bus stop and waited less than two minutes for a bus to come. This was a +blessing because the heat that day (even at 9am) was no joke. Before I popped my ticket into the machine, I asked the driver if it was still valid for, you see, I found these tickets more than a year ago. I found them and kept them and was very pleased to hear the driver say that yes, they were still good. Saved me loads that day. +Blessing.
I stopped at the mall a) to find someone who might repair the bag that had broken about six minutes after I alighted my friend's car, and b) to get some uni work done. I reasoned that if I just took the day "off" in another city, I'd get up to things I'd regret the next day. The shoe repairman was just opposite my bank (+blessing of convenience) in which I'd just deposited a cheque (+blessing of late but appreciated assistance) and he was happy to help. He told me to come back in an hour.
![]() |
| Only took this photo cos I love the artwork (and how it smacks of patriotism). |
I had recently been reflecting on my current habits of listening to sermons frequently -- on this thirst for knowledge, apologetic, truth -- and how that's well and good to a point but if I never leave my house, figuratively speaking, this information is almost useless. YES, learning about the person of Christ is important independent of my relationships with others but let's have both. Let's have the reason that apologetics are interesting and helpful. What good is knowledge I don't apply? knowledge that doesn't change my life? knowledge that doesn't cause me to act?
Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. *
A better description might be that I started to understand how people can be enrolled in educational institutions into their thirties and forties (or more?). I started to get a glimpse of the mind of the person who grows PhDs on their PhDs. The person who takes up golf just to get a different kind of Masters. Education is great but disconnecting yourself from people and remaining in a cocoon like a coward is not acceptable. I will not be that guy!
*James 1:22
So, choosing Philemon not because I thought it had something for me, not because I thought it would make me "feel better" but because I thought I should come to a passage fresh, I was amazed to find verse six so appropriate for what I'd been thinking about. I pray that you may be active in sharing your faith, so that you will have a full understanding of every good thing we have in Christ. THIS MEANS: you're missing out if you're not doing. Of course I desire fullness in my relationship with Christ and of course I want to keep removing obstacles day after day that come between us... If I'm not sharing my faith I'm missing out on an aspect of knowing Christ.
Let's not miss out on knowing Christ. That would be tragic.
(+blessing)
I picked up my bag and headed toward Destination #2: the passport office. I found it easily enough (thank you, iPhone) and was in and out (+blessing) much sooner than expected.
Downstairs I found something like a cafeteria which amazingly could supply me with my fix of an energy drink (not my brand but I needed to be awake) (+blessing) and a place to sit while I ate the lunch I'd packed, free of charge and without time-limit (+blessing). I hate packing lunches so I was glad to be able to at least eat it in a civilized manner (not like a zoo monkey), out of the sun and unrushed. Lunch tasted better than I thought after being in a squished bag for six hours. (+blessing)
Next, we walked back downtown and caught a bus to the nearest Starbucks. (Yeah, I said it.) There, I ordered the largest glass of iced soy chai goodness they would sell me and parked myself at one of very few open spots while shamelessly monitoring the spots next to wall sockets. (My phone was around 30% of battery life now.)
Unit 6 - Respiration
It went well, actually. Knowing I had ticked the two major boxes for the day and that this was just icing helped. The cold drink helped. Wanting to be able to tell my friend when she picked me up that I had finished all my reading helped. I ended up getting through two-thirds (+blessing) which I was satisfied with because I actually worked the whole time so I basically did my best. :)
Twentyish minutes into my stay, I recognized (and it was half-sad, half-impressive) the woman in a white shirt who walked past me to the exit, whipped my head round to confirm and then descended upon her vacant seat like a bird of prey. Plugged the phone in and I was LAUGHING. My friend called in response to my asking where I needed to go to meet her after work and she said she was actually closer to me where I was so don't go anywhere! (suuuuuuupa +blessing. no more bus and no more time lost in transit. ahh.)
Then we went home. Perhaps that was it. I guess I left out how, between the passport office and the downtown bus depot I met a Mormon (...... ...) and before Starbucks I found some super neat postcards for very cheap but there you have it.


No comments:
Post a Comment