Sunday, 1 July 2012

one of seven things I've made a note to blog about.

Couple days ago my boss walked in while I was collating, put down his book and wallet and asked, "Have you seen these?"

He was holding one of our new poly-something one hundred dollar bills.

"Yes.  I'm a cashier; I see those all the time."  I had to battle hard to not sound overly smug.  I think what I was trying to say was that they aren't exactly new anymore since they've been out for a while.

He continues turning it over in his hands looking at different features.  (It's that pause that he uses to set up punch-lines or witty remarks.)  I asked, "Did you know that you can't crumple them up?"

He almost overlaps (...perfect comedic timing - it's gross) to counter, "Yes, but have you seen one of these while you're [sorting] papers?"

I smile the "touché" and admit, "No." I haven't.

"So, what?  You can't crumple them?"

"Yeah.. Apparently you can't tear them.  I donno though - I'm afraid to try too hard."

"Yeah, I wouldn't want to try."

"It's a felony, isn't it?"

"Well, I'm not worried about THAT.." (I laugh.) "This is a lot of money for me."
(That did strike me as a little weird that he would say it to me like we were standing on my yacht.)

"Aha.  Try crumpling it."

He balls it up in his hand and then lets it go.  It opens immediately and shows very little creasing.  He seems genuinely surprised and says, "This is made of witchcraft!" It made me laugh a lot because he seems a little more straight-laced than that.

I think I enjoyed the moment more because the only reason he was there was to say goodbye as he was leaving the building.  I guess I'm not as unbearable as I think.

Oh, life.

No comments: