I think of it most when I'm watching the Batman movies, particularly the most recent three. We all know that Gotham City is dark and getting darker and we recognise the need for someone partially outside the situation - someone invested in Gotham but not corrupted by it - to break in and stop the spiral.
In the scenes after Batman gets his suit, car, cave or after Spiderman figures out how to web, aren't we pinning our hopes on him showing up when that screaming lady is being mugged in a back alley? Don't Marvel and DC set it up for us to expect the crime-fighter to show up precisely when needed, to defend the defenceless and exact justice? To be selfless and throw himself into danger for someone else's good?
I know I do. I root so hard. I get right into it.
Humans are great at recognising moral evil; we just lie about it most of the time. We are happy to excuse someone else's evil if it means they won't mention ours. I don't think we see nearly as much grey as we claim to.
The superhero is always flawed; he usually has massive inner turmoil; he's often ousted from normal society, misunderstood, framed or impeded by the law. (He'll do what our hearts know is just but what the law will string him up for.)
But Jesus is better. He doesn't have flaws or baggage, He isn't bound by the law or social/societal norms and His justice literally could not be better. (He's also not bothered by space, time or sin.)
He does show up at exactly the right time to rescue and He rescues completely.
And He loves. And He stays in the dark alley instead of slipping back into the shadows. And His identity isn't dual or hidden.
I think we gravitate toward and root for superheroes because we can feel our need for an outsider to intervene and get us out of deep trouble.
Shoot- now I really wanna watch The Dark Knight.
2 comments:
Thomasa just bought it. So come on over and watch it with us!!!
Oh and, I totally understand your superhero reference. Clear, precise and convincing.
Post a Comment