Friday, 3 March 2006

It's the 100th Post!

Yay for the centennial! I have been holding off a post for many days because I wanted to make this one extra cool but, alas, I have nothing overly exciting to share.

There are two things I learned last weekend:
(1) My wallet is ugly.
(2) Pears actually taste good, contrary to a lifetime of indignance.

Here is something great that I cribbed from the script of "The Family Man" (2000):
[This film comes highly recommended from yours truly, so I will do my best to conceal things that would spoil the experience for someone who hasn't watched yet. After having a conversation with a woman who expressed her desire to have a relationship with him (though both she and he are already married to others), Jack has a conversation with his best friend, Arnie, that begins with him describing the encounter and then...]
Jack [smoothly]: ... So if you would just [pushing a napkin across the table] write her exact address down here - if you have it - [pause] do you have a pen? Please.
Arnie [as if it hits him in waves]: Whoa-oa-oa-oa. You're not actually thinking about cheating on Kate, are you?
Jack [still confident]: Well it wouldn't really be cheating, Arnie. [Beat] It's complicated.
Arnie [in righteous anger]: Alright, maybe I haven't been as good a consigliere to you has you have been to me but hear me out on this, OK? A little flirtation is harmless [but] you're dealing with FIRE! Alright, man? The Fidelity Bank & Trust is a tough creditor. You make a deposit somewhere else, they close your account. [whispereing, close to the table] Forever!

I thought this film was amazing enough to be watched twice (though I cannot pinpoint exactly why and am glad for that fact). There is a scene where Jack watches a home video of a big birthday bash for Kate and we see him making a special tribute to his wife by singing "La-la-la (Means I Love You)" and I found it to be such an interesting thing to watch. At the risk of sounding like an idiotic cheeseball, I will mention that something about the moment seemed very real. What I appreciated the most was that it was actually Nicholas Cage (Jack) singing, not someone else and he sings like the average guy would.


Here are a couple of great nuggets I found in an electronic newsletter from a friend of mine who is currently serving with Campus Crusade for Christ:
"Everday we give a part of ourselves - our love, our service - to people who don't appreciated it. But if we are really fools for Christ, what do we have to lose?"
"Love and trust in God (not methods and organization) are the basis of all ministry, even with university students."
("Wherever you go, be all there." -- this one was quoted from someone else in the newsletter)
The AndersON PRESS, January 2006


I suppose this is it for post number one-hundred. I have an envelope full of quotations to post, the vast majority of them from Stephen Colbert, but the time it takes to contextualize them makes the task too monstrous for me at present. (Coming soon!)

No comments: