Sunday, 26 March 2006

strangeness of children

Aisle 3 in Domenic's no frills on Harvard Road in Guelph, ON offers the following:

canned meat and fish.....rice
bread crumbs................beans
sauces.........................side dishes
pasta...........................canned vegetables


This afternoon, I was perusing this aisle and off-handedly noted that someone was stocking boxes on top of the shelves, requiring him to walk around nine or ten feet above the ground. Then I heard a young boy, of 5 or 6 years, exclaim, "Look, Mom! Look behind you! ... Mom, Mom!" and he continued until she turned around and said, "Oh yea! ... There's a guy up there!" in the sing-song, humoring tone all parents are required to perfect and affect. As soon as she had responded to him, the boy started again, "Mom, Mom, look! Look behind you! Tuna! There's tuna!" I thought he was misusing a word or speaking in code or perhaps saying something in his second language, Spanish, that I could not understand. I glanced over and saw that he was merely drawing his mother's attention to the stacks of canned fish next to her.

Something about the fact that this boy was as excited about seeing a guy walk around on what might seem like a roof in a death-defying manner as he was about seeing a random fish product entertained me a great deal.

No comments: