Wednesday, 17 May 2006

the end mais pas le fin

The season finale of "Prison Break" was on this Monday. I took a long ride to a friend's house to watch it with other fellow fanatics. I was disappointed by the ending, I truly was. I felt shocked and almost offended. I thought the show was done forever. I did not realize this was a series I was engaged in, I thought it was a one-shot deal. The shock and offense were dampened when I learned this. Even still, I found the closing minutes hard to watch. There was much sadness as people were murdered and others tried to serve justice. I think that too much happened in that episode. I understand now why other shows go out with an extended airing.
What I found most interesting was how differently everything became once the prisoner's were outside of their cages. It seemed that they all had been completely stripped of power. As plans dissolved before their eyes, the men became more primal and frantic. It bothered me to see Scofield so out of his element. People were showing their true colors this episode (characteristic of a finale?) and that, I think, is why more time would have been useful. You can't unveil 15 characters' true selves in one hour minus the commercial breaks.
It seems odd and potentially detrimental that I take a television program so seriously. The truth is that I cherish being able to do that. What other show grips me from start to finish, making me wonder, problem solve and hope-against-hope with the characters on screen? It's good. It's good to be wrapped up in drama (when you are aware that it is drama) because that is what the art was intended to do. What good is a theatrical presentation if you can laugh, shrug or flip it off and leave the theatre or couch the second the credits roll or the curtain drops? Get into it!

2 comments:

monica said...

hey jess

This is actually a comment in reference to your previous entry. wow so you're reading through the da vinci code? If that is your 3rd beef do you have others? It is drawing a ridiculous amount of excitement.
Hey I was thinking of becoming sara whitfield and start calling ppl because many do not return my emails and I felt to grace them with my electronic presence through other means. Is your phone number in the project book your guelph residence? Actually I should really just email you this... hahhaha just email me your number or something and I may give you a call.... between now and the next time I feel like I have too much time:P
much love
Monica

Jesskah said...

Yeth, yeth I am reading The DaVinci Code and I just passed the half-way mark a few days ago. (Whoop!) The film is just being released tonight isn't it?

I do have other beefs. I've book marked about five passages to explicate.

I'm not sure though, now that I've got into the thick of it, if people are actually buying this stuff. Are they? I mean, I know that I'm biased and whatever but it still seems very far-fetched they way this book is written. I also wonder if people are ignoring or forgetting that the book is meant to be a fiction. But, from a literary point of view, Dan Brown seems to be doing some weird meta-text stuff about this. He talks about how scandalous it would be to declare these dirty secrets of Christianity's past to the world, how much attention it would draw to you, how crazy you'd need to be, etc. He jokes about the things that he in fact is doing. It's weird.

Good luck turning into Wheatbran. She has large shoes to fill. I mean literally - her feet are enormous.