Monday, 16 October 2006

les collines sont vivantes

I watched about 90% of The Sound of Music last night for what is effectively the first time and I am cereally impressed. Number first, Julie Andrews is a fairly great actor and a marvellous singer. She was so stinkin young... running around with a short haircut and all. I have basically confined her to the Mary Poppins character in my head so this was cool.
Some of the long thisiswhatyoushoulddoinlife ballads were irritating, some moments bowled me over with cheesiness and some songs made me smile like an idiot the whole way through either because of memories I have attached to them, because the words are goosey or because the person playing and/or singing was doing a fantastically quiet good job. I appreciate the times when it was proper to know music, like we should know who our Prime Minister is or how to get to City Hall.
I kick myself for falling asleep before seeing the conclusion of the film b/c I imagine it was either amazing or dumb (as in wishy-washy happily-ever-after cheap). The closing (the denoument or whatever) of a film is pretty much the largest deciding factor for me in what I think of the entire thing.

2 comments:

Beth said...

your FIRST TIME!!! so now go watch the end and give us your final pronouncement.

Jesskah said...

This comment seems to have been lost in oblivion for the past 27 days but I still haven't watchthed the end. ah well..