In your understanding of Biblical principles and ideas, what you take is what the church has done for the past two millenia. Your understanding of women being men's helpers is that she is "subserviant", a slave and basically worthless; inferior. You're wrong and the church has been wrong for a long time in how it interpreted Biblical directions. God didn't say, "OK ..... this half of the popuation, you can exploit and abuse... this half of the population," arbitrarily dividing the world. God said, "You're both made in my image and so you're equal. I want one of you to lead and one of you to help."
[Did you know that the H-Spizzo is meant to be a helper, just like Eve?]
If you went to the text and read things in Genesis and Ephesians and all that - oh and the Gospezillios, maybe even Acts, too - you'd understand that it's not what you think, not what people misinterpreted and not what seems the norm. Especially in the New Testament we see that Jesus wanted to raise the status of women which means that the people of the Old Testament must have gotten it wrong, too. [How can God have one part of Himself being superior to another? It doesn't work; He's perfect across the board.]
To my title: people hate that the world established a harsh and suffocating patriarchal system for so long because someone along the line misinterpreted the Bibs and then the church disseminated it mercilessly for a long time. Now today people take what their Sunday school teacher said, or they take what Geoffrey Chaucer said and assume that because these people are so close to the Bible, because they're supposed to know what they're doing, that what they are saying is what the Bible is saying. Clear? People's interpretation of Christianity these days, by and large, is based on the world's presentation of Christianity is and no body wants to take the time to refrence a primary source anymore.
---
I think I fouled up in my class. I'm always itching for something to say and this is the last seminar we'd have to talk about Paradise Lost. I said something that seemed a little too off-topic, a little too soap box-y and was way obviously NOT for academic but personal interest. Yikes.
Last time - the last two times - what I said went over well. It either sparked discussion or raised eyebrows. I think I said what I was supposed to say. Now, I probably just crossed a line. Now I've officially been sanctioned into the preachy box. oh well. We'll see what Mansfield Park can afford me.
[I wanted to blog about that first seminar because it was ground-breaking, at least in myself. .. I oughta do that.]
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Mansfield Park, mmmmm. Always good talks there. Plus, more sweet props to God for giving second chances...one 'whoops' in class doesn't mean you're out for the count.
It's a tru say there. I recently realized this in a grand-scheme-of-things kind of way and I imagine it could be life-altering in the near future.
I'd usually agree that God is good.
Post a Comment