In other news, this is what I do when I'm out of school during the Christhams season...
Yesterday's project was a Christmas tree (see previous post) and today I made a rather gaudy Christmas card for a (secret Japanese) friend of mine. Yes, the envelope is made from a paper bag and yes, I enjoyed cutting the triangular lip to complete the illusion of legitmacy.Before this, I made some apple crisp out of what is certainly the largest apple I have ever seen. [See below.] Unfortunately, the smaller apple on your right in the photograph does not give a good idea of scale because it could certainly be a very tiny apple. However, it is not. It is an average-size Royal Gala apple (maybe slightly smaller than average) and the big Red Delicious was definitely about four inches tall and three inches in diameter (at its widest point). I've said it twice before and I'll say it again: that apple ate other apples. It is gargantuan. It scared/scares me. This is why I was forced to cut it into small pieces and bake it in hot oven....mwa hahah....

[For those who are interested, I did the slicey-slicey of the Gargantuan and half of the other apple. (Usually, you use 5-6 regular-people size apples but I wanted the challenge of making a mini-crisp out of the mother.) Drop your pommes in a baking dish (the 9x9" or 8x8" is cool) and pour a smidge of water over. After this, sprinkle two tablespoons of granulated sugar on.]





[After this, you probably wants to mix 1/2 cup rolled oats, 1/2 cup packed brown sugar, 1/4 cup flour and 1/2 tsp cinnamon. If I were you I'd be rather liberal with both the brown sugar and the cinnamon becuase those things have a kind of.... passionate relationship with apples. They pretty much need to be together, in copious amounts, as much as possible.
]
][Add 1/4 cup of margarine (I went overboard because I was trying to bake from memory and thought I needed 1/2 cup. I stopped a little bit after I'd added half...). It oughta be crumbly but stick together jus a lil' bit, too. My hand does absolutely NOTHING for showing you the texture so just pretend it's there to prove that... I still have hands.]
[Bake your friend at 350oF for 30-35 minutes and then love it real nice like. I suggest the addition of ice cream. If you're a westerner, you'd probably pick vanilla which I think is absolutely a joke of a flavor BUT it does make sense in this context becuase you probably don't want to interfere with the apple crisp-o flavor at all.]
I think that's all I have to say for now. That... yea.
(This is what happened to the other half of the apple ----------------------------->
+cinnamon+syrup&icing sugar+great)

9 comments:
Totally agree with you on the queer-positive church issue.
-----
- I think you should have write your own cookbook with illustrations. Whenever I come to this blog, I feel kinda hungry afterwards o'.'o
ah, for serious. I'm going to rip you off for/with that phrase.
(that above comment was directed at Alison)
Monica, you have stumbled across my master plan. I am trying to make you hungry (oh-so-subtley) so that you (and all your family) WILL by my oh-so-magical cookbook when it is released. I amso.....under the radar.
the apple crisp looks amazing!
PERFECT! cos i just got a big of HUGE apples!!
wonder if the ones here taste different from the ones over there...
vanilla ice cream is the only REAL flavour.
my favourite line: If I were you I'd be rather liberal with both the brown sugar and the cinnamon becuase those things have a kind of.... passionate relationship with apples.
Yowsers. I like you a tonne. And I am coveting your crispiness. Apple crispiness, that is.
You know what, Alison? I can picture you doing that and I think it's great. I think I have been there, too.
Silas, we can no longer be friends.
Secret Friend: they probably do taste different. Send me a batch and I'll... give you the final verdict!
Fish: wouldn't it be cool if you could describe people as "crisp"? If we can work out a definition for that, I think I'd like to start putting the word into circulation.
crisp: adj. cutting edge, creative, impressive, and generally hip. see also: proper, sick, steeped
I am picking up what you are putting down. For serious.
Post a Comment