Thursday, 1 March 2007

a few things I appreciate(d)

Re: Scotland Project
#1 The jam they offered in the breakfast display was CRAZY thick and made me a bit angry (but I was usually too tired & hungry to make a stink). Canadian jam... woot! It spreads like butter. Well, at least this Olde Style Strawberry Jam with pectin spreads pretty well. It made me forget how stupid plain bagels are. No.. actually, I liked this bagel before I dressed it.
It just reminds me of vanilla ice cream in an uncool way, I guess. It has its place.

#2 At the Christian Union's weekly meeting on Friday the group's collective enunciation when it sang was fantastic because United Kingdom accents lead people to say "t"s as "t"s, not as "d"s. It was beautiful. You can call me anal, you can blame my music obsession/training but I would wager that most any Canadian or American could appreciate such a sound. It was like a crisp glass of water (after drinking not-so-well filtered stuff from a rusted pipe - it's cool, it's not deadly but wow does it make you appreciate a bit o' Brita). I felt like the whole room was clean, and tightly bound (in a good way). Like it was neat and orderly, bordering on sterile. (I could see the strict rows, well distinguished, and it seemed a directed wind was rushing through.

#3 I appreciated the swift answers to prayer that God gave me (twice or thrice as I remember) and I especially enjoyed what He did to me on Tuesday with John 14:1.
At that point, when we were release for some quiet tizzle, I was being overwhelmed by worries of the world and knowing still that I don't need to worry and that there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.

"Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me."

I read it and my whole body sighed. I could almost feel stress being drained out of me like the last water out of a vase full of rocks. (Try to picture the languid but intentional exodus.) I said, "OK, God, yes." And after another wave hit, "It's not the end of the world... [beat] and when it is, You'll be there." :) This made huge smiles to my life.


I should add, however, that I'm still working through this or things connected to this and I covet intercessory prayers. I feel, most times, as if I'm under a suffocating blanket, tangled worse than flannel-on-flannel in a hot room, closed space and beyond-weary muscles. This aint right and I know it.

2 comments:

Beth said...

did you notice at the CU that they didn't say "ummmm" but "emmmm?" i liked that too.

Jesskah said...

Yee eees, I did indeed notice that they had accents...
It's like how the French (or at least the Quebecois) say "euhhh" instead of "uhhh" in the same gap-while-I'm-thinking kind of way.

I just had a flashback of my seminar yesterday and realized that I said UM just FAR too often. Pooop! oh well.