directed by Edgar Wright
starring Simon Pegg and Nick Frost
released in Canada on 20 April 2007
I have never met a film that was so grossly sold short by its television advertisements. Seriously! Don't pay attention to them: they'll only sell you a typical, Hollywood, predictable, cheap-laughs, brain-dead, slapstick humor idea. (Yes, I saw it anyways, under these assumptions. I was convinced to go by my brother who has seen "Shaun of the Dead" and figured that could vouch for the merit of this film. I assumed it couldn't be totally horrible. I was wrong.) I loved it; I really loved it. I'm sad, though, that many viewers will miss out on this greatness because they're expecting a stupid cop movie about partners who don't get along at first (one is suave, uber-professional and serious, the other is sloppy, goofy and trying to get his partner to loosen up..) but by the end are good friends, save the day (probably by accident) and are offered promotions despite all the chaos & damage they create and the huge mistakes they make that should have gotten them fired. Hmmpoop. I don't want to say all of what it's about because I think what can make a movie experience so much better is having little (or low) expections. That way, you can be suprized and impressed so much more. I was totally following along with the plot like my life depended on it... like a five-second imagination excursion would totally ruin the whole thing. (Every facial expression, every line, every space between lines; body language, subtext, cinematic tricks, those other visual things that make you wonder is key. It's all in there for a reason; it all builds to one end. I generally feel this way about any piece of art but some of them simply captivate me so completely that I can barely deal.) It was almost like "Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring" for me (and even parts 2 and 3, too). I seriously sat on the edge of my seat because I had been so effectively drawn in to that fantasy world. This film was almost the same - it wasn't so fantastic, of course, but my senses were being overloaded by new and constantly incoming fascinating things. O how I enjoyed it.
starring Simon Pegg and Nick Frost
released in Canada on 20 April 2007
I have never met a film that was so grossly sold short by its television advertisements. Seriously! Don't pay attention to them: they'll only sell you a typical, Hollywood, predictable, cheap-laughs, brain-dead, slapstick humor idea. (Yes, I saw it anyways, under these assumptions. I was convinced to go by my brother who has seen "Shaun of the Dead" and figured that could vouch for the merit of this film. I assumed it couldn't be totally horrible. I was wrong.) I loved it; I really loved it. I'm sad, though, that many viewers will miss out on this greatness because they're expecting a stupid cop movie about partners who don't get along at first (one is suave, uber-professional and serious, the other is sloppy, goofy and trying to get his partner to loosen up..) but by the end are good friends, save the day (probably by accident) and are offered promotions despite all the chaos & damage they create and the huge mistakes they make that should have gotten them fired. Hmmpoop. I don't want to say all of what it's about because I think what can make a movie experience so much better is having little (or low) expections. That way, you can be suprized and impressed so much more. I was totally following along with the plot like my life depended on it... like a five-second imagination excursion would totally ruin the whole thing. (Every facial expression, every line, every space between lines; body language, subtext, cinematic tricks, those other visual things that make you wonder is key. It's all in there for a reason; it all builds to one end. I generally feel this way about any piece of art but some of them simply captivate me so completely that I can barely deal.) It was almost like "Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring" for me (and even parts 2 and 3, too). I seriously sat on the edge of my seat because I had been so effectively drawn in to that fantasy world. This film was almost the same - it wasn't so fantastic, of course, but my senses were being overloaded by new and constantly incoming fascinating things. O how I enjoyed it.

2 comments:
There's a few of those (i.e., movies that I'd assumed would be bogus) that I'd like to see. Stranger than Fiction is next on my list -- have you seen it (I wonna assume yes, b/c it's Ferrell)?
good call and yes, have seens its.
Post a Comment