Saturday, 7 July 2007
Two Thousand and Seven
I have seen two ASPCA and one WPCA (?) commercials in the last two days and one thing hit me the first time returned a little worse with the third time. There are trained professionals - actors, representatives, owners, volunteers, field workers, doctors, whoever - appearing on the commercial which asks us to donate $18 per month (for the American...) and $20 per month for the Word Association so that the thousands of animals who are "abused, neglected and beaten" can be resuced, fed, housed, nursed to health, etc. etc.. (Thousands.) The stirring images do bring up that classic discussion over the guilt-trip and the "It's not my problem" fun but I'm not really into that. I can't think of appropriate words to describe what the images are but what I can say is that the commercial made me think that this organization, and others like it are nothing more than us fighting against ourselves. And the poor suckers caught in the middle either get to be "domestic" animals or cornered children or the rainforest and exotic friends with lucrative tusks or pelts or furs etc etc. Even something like a hippie protest against the corporate giant is still people against people. How are we so different? I don't get.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment