Friday, 24 August 2007

Why I Wish I Could Be More Like...

...Jonathan Kent, as seen on Smallville (2002-2007).

His son Clark could run 10, 20, 50 farms on his own because of his super strength and speed. He does do a fair share of chores on the family farm and it wouldn't have been able to survive without 10 extra hands if it weren't for him. But Mr Kent, instead of getting greedy or lazy and forcing Clark to do ALL the work or to maximize the output of the land (producing more than a three-person piece of land should be able to), he still runs the farm. He still does his own chores, and works as hard as any other farmer, I'm sure. He has a jack (or whatever that dingle is called that goes under large vehicles and you crank it to lift them up to change a tire or do work underneath) that he uses whenever Clark's not around. I mean, the kid has held tractors and cars/trucks over his head.. in today's episode, he actually threw the tractor about 500 feet in the air and it landed a mile away (but that wasn't quite intentional). I admire that Mr Kent has not abused the amazing resource he has in his own back yard which, I suppose, is a long-winded way of saying he values hard work. It's almost like the equivalent of winning millions in the lottery but not hiring a housekeeper. Something like that.

No comments: