On tonight's episode of the Colbert Report, Colby was doing another installment of "Cheating Death with Dr Stephen T. Colbert" which is always great. I was actually only half listening ... cuz I'm no longer obsessed with him and cuz I was talking to someone online but I did manage to crib these few nuggets:
"When you ingest chemicals that are bad for you, [your body] alerts you ... by dying."
This one, I remember, was from VaxaMamm, a male breast reduction cream. Apparently you're supposed to, "Apply it once and then go immediately to the hospital. [Laughs] Get that stuff off. It burns. Side effects may include: autonomous nipples, migrating genitals aaand .... brain-tooth."
That last one really got me. "Brain-tooth." Ha... some how it's not such a foreign thing for me to conjure a mental image for and I do blame The Simpsons. His "Cheating Death" segments are very similar in format and tonight I was reflecting on how it is very possible that the writers of the show will soon run out of obsure side-effects to cite. I mean, that's how he ends his spiel on every product. It's a .. trademark but I don't know that it's a staple. I think it's part of a larger picture. I think it serves to make the whole segment ridiculous (duh), to make Colb a clearly UNqualified "doctor" and to make every product COMPLETELY unmarketable and undesirable and unhelpful, etc. etc. ... rendering the whole thing useless.
But I mean... I haven't gotten tired of it yet. Most of the side-effects are gross (the audience will groan) but they are related to the product they are connected to which is good. It's a little tiny thread tied onto sensibleness. (...sensibility?) But brain-tooth....ahhh so great. I liked the time he recommended something where one of its side-effects was the actual ailment it was meant to cure. great times.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment