Number Two: idolatry [2]
Exodus 20:4 - "You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below."
I try not to say it often, but today I really hate the kind of person I am.
I know what my idols are. I guess they're here on earth and not in the air or the sea..and I can't say that I made them, the same way the Israelites made the golden calf. I can, of course, fully admit that I made them idols. There's two that I can think of and I'm sure the third could be myself but that doesn't make sense to me.
I took the time to think about it today because I knew I had something bloggy to say but that I had to keep within the recently-delivered rules.
I don't....... hmm. Stream of conscious writing is very important to me and.... so..... I think this post is just about over because I have nothing more to say.
I can't say I've learned much (much that is profound) today and I can't say I've dealt with the idols. In this space of two hours that I have been home after a day away, I can say that I have resisted temptation well. Beyond that... I don't know. God.... deserves much and receives little. I'm just not soberly seeing how idols hinder and blurr and distract -- and how that means you can't have all of God. He is a jealous God --dude... THAT just made sense to me. "Jealous" has always been a tricky term for me in this context but it's all coming together.
He is a jealous God and just...just doesn't stand other things being considered anywhere near close to being on-par with Him. goose egg.... Hmmm. So I just need to see it. I just need to clearly see what absolute allegiance is like. Cast off all the crap that hinders and entangles my everything...
Maybe I could add to that, now that I've taken the time to locate the verse I was thinking of. "Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith..." Now there's a verse I would love to dissect on a platter and serve at a party. That could be another series.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment