Thursday, 24 January 2008

why do we laugh when men cry? (and the bigger and burlier the more laughter...)



why do we laugh when people talk about seeing psychiatrists or "seeking professional help", etc.? It's a serious thing! I don't get it...why are we so messed up?



Sharon Osbourne was onto something. I need to re-read that [article].

12 comments:

nadine said...

I cry when men cry.

Matt Damon in Good Will Hunting killed me. And oddly enough, it was while he was seeking professional help.

But perhaps if he were big and burly, it would have been slightly funnier. I doubt it.

Jesskah said...

hmmm. I dig that sentiment, I do. And I know exactly what you mean with that particular film. If Matt Damon were burly I think I'd find it awkward.

Katie V. said...

most people I know have had some sort of professional help. I am so thankful it exists.

Jesskah said...

see? that's what makes our scoffing at it so ridiculous. sure, in real life you're not going to laugh in someone's face when they say they see a shrink regularly...
I just don't get the hypocrisy. If I were to make a snap judgement, I'd say it was insecurity.
also, Miss Katie V, something that you said to me a while of whiles ago (prolly a year by now) wanted to get in on this post but it somehow never did, I guess because I was in a rush or whatever.

when I find the Sharon Osbourne thing, I'm going to add you in that sequel post (if you have no objections..I don't think you will).

Beth said...

i am so glad you're back.

sigh.

i actually have great respect for men who cry and people who seek professional help.

monica said...

You guys don't use capital letters at the beginning of your sentences. Just something I realized with many people. Is this a trend?

Katie V. said...

permission given. mostly because i'm curious about what i may have said. and i think you have some tact (some)

Jesskah said...

(Monica:) We do it to be informal. As far as this generation goes, I'm pretty sure it's still a conscious effort NOT to capitalize because we have a half-decent handle on what writing in English is like. (I know that's such a sketchy statement cuz most people's "half-decent" is horrid but you get my point.)

As for the generation or half-generation after us, (I'm thinking about peeps who are now between like 11 and 15 years of age), I wonder if capitalizing is a reflex as engrained for them as it is for us. I mean, if the lazy Internet lingo existed BEFORE YOU WERE BORN, well it'll just be all that you know. As for me (and my house) I remember the first craze of chat rooms...I remember when Emoticons and smiley faces first arrived on the scene. ....

I think I only started doing it recently (6 months ago?) because sometimes, when you write with proper English, it looks like you're talking down to people and I don't wanna do that. ("I do not wish to do that.")

the other reason I do it I can't really explain. (Look! I just did it right there!) Ah well. Does that satisfy you at all, Monicar?

Jesskah said...

miss katie f,
I am glad for your permission. I realized after my last comment that it'd really be hard for you to object or not object if you didn't know what I was talking about but, tell you what: I'll give you first crack and then if you don't like it, it won't go to presses. COol? GR8!!

nadine said...

Clearly, I'm a fan of the condescending comment. (See capital letters above).

from now on, i'll go with your flow. dude. but i'm not sure if this is being 'one of the crowd' or just a poor e.e. cummings homage (who probably didn't do the blog thing).
or ICQ.

Jesskah said...

dude...if you look at this thread there is no dominant flow...it's like half caps and half not. Mmaybe you could try starting sentences with bith. dDo you think that would work?

nadine said...

iI like it. aAlthough it's a little harder on my brain. tThinking before I type? uUnheard of :)