I was channel surfing not too long ago; looking for something that I would WANT to watch, not just something to watch. I hadn't turned on the tele all day, it was half past midnight and I wanted my fix.
I got pretty excited in a moment when I thought I saw that someone was airing Jurassic Park. It turns out they were airing the threequel which... I have no interest in or respect for. (subject to change with notice.)
By the time 2 am rolled around I had firmly decided to stay up through the night instead of sleeping for 20 seconds and then going to work. So, the collector's edition DVD of JP was looking mighty inviting as a two-hour occupier. Yeaaaa..
After I popped it in, and the credits started rolling, I realized that I had no idea how this movie ended. Then I realized I didn't know what the major conflict or climax was. Then I was forced to admit I didn't really know the plot, not even loosely. I remember the dinosaur island, the mosquitoes, the cars leaving their tracks, the car in the tree, the raptors in the kitchen and all other sorts of runnings and screamings. But .....you know, there's more. Yep, so now it's almost like watching the film for the first time but...with some great nostalgia to pad the feeling out. I can't believe this film's 15 years old. yowza.
Last realization: as I listened to what the lawyer (sorry, no name) was saying during the openings scenes, I discovered that they were actually setting up the plot. for realsies. It almost looked forced for how quickly he got into it and how few words he used. But now that I'm thinking about it, I'm guessing that his set-up just seems perfect because it made random factors 1 through 4 in my head all fit so neatly into place. Of course they fit into place! they're following the set-up. It's hard to describe but having this frame of reference brings me some unforseen relief. (wunderbar) Like, just knowing WHY Drs Grant and Sattler went to the island in the first place and, I suppose, knowing why the lawyer and Dr Malcom are there. It's all coming together. It's glorious. It makes sense.
I think this movie was a big deal when it came out. I think people were impressed by the dinosauri-isms. I...wasn't. I was but not that much. What I cling to, though, is Dr Grant's first reaction to seeing the brontasauri...who really should be someone else whose name eludes me. boo. I'm set up when I see how he and Dr Sattler react to Hammond's offer to fund their dig for three years. They're willing to fly with him to an unknown place for a mostly unknown reason for the weekend to get this funding.... Their... I can't really explain it - that's why someone put it in a film ----- or wrote it in a book..first....Crichton. Yep. Anyways... they get it. This means more to them than it could to me so, I react through their reaction. done.
I'm looking forward to this guy.
what can we say about the fact that Dr Malcolm was dressed fully in black and Dr Hammond fully in white when they first appear on screen? what about them sitting directly across from one another in the helicopter? nothing? anything? I mean.... that symbollism is played out but.. I can still wonder.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment