Sunday, 24 February 2008

what is this hidden wealth that I should know about?!

Grumpy Old Men (1993) never really stuck with me as a great film...on any level. When I first watched it, I didn't get it. I would have been 10 or 11. (9?)
I didn't even have small or weird memories that might have nothing to do with the film - the guys I usually come away with when I'm "too young at the time" to get something.
My friends wanted to watch it this afternoon. I wasn't sold; I thought I would be bored and frustrated and overal COMPLETELY unimpressed. (I get frustrated with cheap humor, especially when it's popular with the masses.)

Turns out it's a good movie. Turns out.

7.0/10

The Matrix (1999) was groundbreaking in many ways... the first one that comes to mind, always, is the time-warping special effects, especially in fight sequences. Also the the full-on trippyness of it all, the distortion of reality... simultaneous realities? oh, I have no words for this. Someone else could write this better.
I'm enjoying this film. It's about 25 minutes in and I am certain I have NO clue what this film is about. I want also to know what this film is saying...so I look forward to the end.
I could compare it to Waking Life (2001) - another great guy that I realize now I will unfortunately need to watch again, maybe not for this same reason but because that one was just too dang heavy.

Watching this with bits and pieces of half memories in my mind is weird. It doesn't ruin the film. I like that I have some shards of pre-knowledge/pre-context... Again, it's not fitting into words.
Despite the snippits and what people said at the time, the parodies of even now, the over-quoted lines... I don't get it. I didn't realize this thing was set 200 years in the future. Le wow. I really wasn't paying attention.

7.9/10

No comments: