Friday, 25 April 2008

spinaci...funghi...mozzarella...

If my present self was going to learn a language, I think she'd be most interested in Italian.

Today (and yesterday) I have confirmed this...and it surprizes me because I know French and my personality typically would think I should finish learning one langue before moving to the next.

So, I specified that it was my "present" self meaning that it's the one who has a working knowledge of French and lives in a bilingual country/province, not my theoretical self learning a first second language.
My theoretical self might go for Francais but it's so hard to say.


Anyways....I realized that I want to learn Italian at my own pace. Right now I feel like so much about it - Italian culture, that is - is hallowed and I approach with so much reverence and very little touching that I don't expect to get very close until I'm 50. I'm OK with this. I'm OK with a slow and delicate romance that matures no faster than it should. Ohhhhh I look forward to my future in this aspect, I do.

No comments: