In re-reading that last post to edit, I was reminded of the song Mighty to Save which I have been singing altogether too much in the past month or so, as I've been teaching it to a few other peeps. It was the "I get to be indirectly involved" line that instantly made me think (and start singing), Ev'ry one needs compassion, a love that's never failing...
I kept singing and I heard the whole song afresh which is such a gift. (22) It occurs to me that I may have never really listened to the chanson but been distracted by the shape of the melody instead. Here it is, in an awesome context:
Everyone needs compassion
A love that's never failing
Let mercy fall on me
Everyone needs forgiveness
A kindness of a Savior
The hope of nations
Savior, He can move the mountains
My God is mighty to save,
Mighty to save.
Forever, Author of Salvation
He rose and conquered the grave,
Jesus conquered the grave.
So take me as You find me
All my fears and failures;
Fill my life again.
I give my life to follow
Everything I believe in
Now I surrender
Shine Your light and let the whole world see
We're singin for the glory of the Risen King, Jesus.
Shine Your light and let the whole world see
We're singin for the glory of Risen King.
I guess I could say that before I was interpreting this song as something about ME and God...God and I. But instead now I see it as asking Him to make me see how other people need Him. It's not the compassion of God for men that the first line speaks of, it's our compassion for our neighbor.
Let mercy fall on me - mercy that I am so uncompassionate and inwardly focused.
The hope of nations - my goodness, it's salvation for ALL, not for one!
He can move the mountains - I heard that newly, too. I mean...for US it is futile but for Him it is no hard work at all and it's a delight to boot. He can move the mountains. He can break sexual slavery.
I give my life to follow ...This is a cause worth giving forfeiting one's own life for
Everything I believe in...I consider it all rubbish, compared
Now I surrender...However You would have me do it - however - I will obey.
I dunno really where the composers were going with what they wrote but I like having my mind opened in this way, "correct" interpretation or not.
Reuben Morgan. "Mighty to Save." Album. Hillsongs, 2006.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment