Tuesday, 12 August 2008

"The Dark Knight" (2008) part two

I watched it again because me friend hadn't seen it and she wanted a buddy. I also watched it again because I missed the ending the first time.
:
I also watched it again because it really wants to be a big screen display. Once they leave theatres...they're probably not a-comin back. If they do, I'll be there.

There were two things I wanted to say; two details that I clearly missed the first time round.
Spoiler Alert: Don't read this post if you haven't seen The Dark Knight and don't like having advanced knowledge.
The only time that Batman goes home to Bruce Wayne's abode and doesn't assimilate back into Jekyll style, is after he loses someone dear in a brutal way. He sits in an armchair overlooking the city with this suit on but mask off. He sits and stares outward, clearly shaken and distracted enough by his distress that he couldn't even disrobe and consider the dangers of sitting exposed in front of his floor-to-ceiling windows. I like that the director thought of this detail. It works. We've all had that day where the car keys are still in our hand or our shoes are still on or something.

I also noticed that Bruce Wayne makes eye-contact with people he respects so that you KNOW he respects them. I noticed it most with Lucius Fox and it doesn't hurt that the height difference means Wayne literally has to look up to Fox. I noticed it also with Albert and watching that, I remembered how Bruce Wayne of Batman Forever (1995) did the same with his Albert. I gotta watch those other ones again and see how the different actors portray this aspect ...I honestly thought it was just something Christian Bale (and Val Kilmer) were putting in there, themselves. Jeepers...the things I pursue.

No comments: