Tuesday, 5 August 2008

what a strange thought.

I'm aware that we need to trust and be obedient to God to the point where we would calmly walk into a situation that looks painful or deadly -- because we assume that it's either for our discipline or eventual benefit OR simply to maximize His glory.

I get that.

But what if He didn't miraculously swoop in and save us, either at the last moment (Abraham and Isaac-style), or as soon as we agreet? What if we didn't clearly see the perseverence producing character and hope? What if God didn't work in all things for the good of those who love him? I'm not trying to be a heretic, here. I am aware of God's sovereignty and I know that He is good.

All I'm saying is: would we waltz non-chalantly (or even after much convincing and debating) into an unpleasant circumstance if WE DIDN'T HAVE THE GUARANTEE that God would later change things? "Later" can be whenever God chooses. And I'm not talking about martyrdom. That has a clear end and you know it; that's a different kind of thing.

God is not malicious and does not torture us, not by the proper definition of torture. But WHAT IF something rather horrible happened to us..and that was it? What if it was just plain horrible?

I need to think this through more because I don't think I'm making my point properly. But maybe I'm just expressing the "jars of clay" phenomenon in another way.

2 comments:

Janna said...

Excerpt from "The Barbarian Way" by Erwin McManus:

I wonder how many of us have actually had this conversation with God: "Abba, Father, Dad, would You purposely put me in danger?" I think a lot of us haven't asked God that question because we went ahead and answered it for Him. Of course He wouldn't do that. We're His children. We're family. He wouldn't purposefully endanger us, not even to accomplish a higher or nobler purpose. Or would He? Maybe you should stop and ask Him. His answer might surprise you. It certainly surprised John the Baptist. (p.108)

Jesskah said...

mmm, good call.