I - that abstract art depicts things that don't exist in the natural world, and
II - that the members of the Simpson family are all rushing home to watch television.
i - I read something to this effect in the starting pages to a book entitled, "Abstract Expressionism". I already get the sense that I'm an outisder reading this book and that everyone in it/in the room wishes I would just go away. But they can't tell me that cos it's public property. The book says, "...Wassily Kandinsky, who in about 1911 had abandoned any pretence at copying the world of objects."* I'm sitting on the underground reading this and have a moment of WHABAM! as I realize what I'm being told. DUH! Duh...the whole point is to show something that cannot be found in nature. Dang. Dang, do I ever feel like a dunce cap.
ii - I'm guessing the idea is that they're doing what we/our families should be doing...rushing home to watch the Simpsons? It's such a cool mirrory idea. I never really thought about it til just now but I think it helped that I am watching the second episode of season one where the opening credits show Lisa riding her bicyclette home which I have never seen. So when I thought about HER coming home then I wondered, "What about Marge? She stays at home most of the day." Then I realize she's come from grocery shopping...and that Bart has skateboarded home after detention ...and Homer finishes work and drives....I just never put it all together. Cool.
[EST]
*Hess, Barbara. _Abstract Expressionism_. Los Angeles: Taschen, 2006.
No comments:
Post a Comment