Today, while trying to retrieve the margarine, I tipped over a small tub of pasta sauce. It was a rude spill, touching at least four things at first and then a few more by the time I came back with a cloth. It took a while to remove enough of the sauce that I could remove other things without dragging them through it. After a few more trips to the sink with a clothful of sauce, I determined the shelf needed to be removed. (God bless the person who invented removable shelves and drawers, etc for refrigerators.)
I cleaned it and all the things that needed to be cleaned. Because I had to pull everything off the shelf, I was forced to chuck all the rotting food that was there, as popping it back into the refrigerator is not at all an option. Then when I replaced the shelf and the decidedly FEWER items it looked so clean and healthy and tasty that the shelf above it seemed utterly grody by comparison. So, without "needing" to, I cleaned and tidied it as well.
At the end I was forced to consider the same concept I considered after I dusted my television and its stand a couple weeks ago and couldn't take my eyes off how BLACK they both were...as opposed to the GREY I had become very accustomed to.
A few days before I gave in and cleaned it all, I had wiped a spot on the screen unconsciously while talking on the phone and when I saw the contrast I knew I had to go for broke.
I spoke of how I wished I hadn't touched it at all cos then I could go on in ignorance. And when I was through, I couldn't believe how long I had been content with such a dirty, obscured view.
So, of course, I thought of how unbelievers can live their lives behind a veil and how believers can allow sin or doubt or disillusionment or worldliness to mar their view and make them complacent. Then, in starting to see the light chink through, we at first turn away and insist, "NOPE!!....I'm good. I'm not comfortable with change." But then as you see more or as you think about it, you're forced to ask yourself, HOW did I live in such squalor?? How did I live so long with such a handicap? Or with so much LESS than is good or less than I need?
Och. Simple changes. I wish I hadn't cleaned the first shelf because it meant I had to clean the second -- but I'm glad I spilled the sauce because now I have a good-looking fridge that doesn't make me feel guilty, frustrated and disgusting every time I open it. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
umm.. you just eloquently put in to words what I've been mulling over for months and trying to articulate that well.. you'd think I'd be discouraged because I didn't do it myself..but I'm not. Brilliant.
That's very kind of you to say, the Suz. (And I'm tres glad that you/someone could pick up what I'm putting down..I wasn't sure when I wrote it.)
Post a Comment