Sunday, 12 December 2010

You smile, I smile.

Last week I saw a Barbara Walters special called "The 10 Most Fascinating People of 2010." It was fascinating. I think the last time I watched a Baba Wawa show ("20/20") was maybe more than ten years ago. Long time. Can't seem to get into that culture. But, on the adverts, I saw that she had some interviewees who I would like to hear speak - like the cast of "Jersey Shore". I haven't seen the show but I get the gist and I wanted to know how misrepresented they might be.
Two other guests:

-Justin Bieber
This segment surprized me because a) that kid is getting taller (I guess I don't pay attention because he seems to have had a massive growth spurt) and b) he can actually sing. Hmm. See what happens when you give people a chance? Now, I don't know about whatever might get added in the studio, like maybe gets added to every other mainstream recording artist's voice but I DO know that I heard him sing live, pre-stardom and the kid's got skillz. I'm..impressed.
I don't care much for his exaggerated use of Ebonics because, well, it just sounds forced, like he wants a non-dictionary word/term to be slipped into every sentence. Don't force it, bro; talk how you talk.

-Sarah Palin
Oh, wow. I get frustrated whenever (and I mean WHENEVER) I heard this woman speak. In this particular interview, however, what struck me was that she just doesn't get it. As in, she doesn't understand that she's not fooling people. It's OK if you don't have an answer! It's OK if you make a mistake! Admitting it is generally the best route, especially when the slip-up is GLARINGLY OBVIOUS. [How did 'glaringly' come to be a real word?]
It grosses me out that her politician talk isn't even that good. Some politicians can talk their way out of a question masterfully - in fact I'm sure all politicians are expected to be able to do this to some degree - but she's JUST NOT GOOD AT IT. If I can catch her and I don't understand much about politics in general then it's gotta be primo, extra-stinky B.S. It bothers me. It bothers me that she can be so fake, and lie so cheaply without batting an eyelash and seem to be convinced that she's duped us all!!!!
I need to resolve to not hear her speak again; I think that's the solution.

And the host:
On Barbara Walters. First, HOW OLD ARE YOU? I know I could get that answer in two clicks and fourteen keystrokes but that's not the point. I just don't get it...She's...immortal, or something. Also, she's actually kinda funny - like, intentionally. She made a few dry jokes that really impressed me because I'm now convinced that she knows EXACTLY what she's doing and is nobody's puppet. I see a bit why she is so revered.
I appreciated her blunt questions. I am guessing this is part of what made her name for her, the direct questions that the viewers want answers to, posed in non-attacking or patronizing ways. (That's like Strombo, actually.) Of course, her guests can still be defensive but that's usually because the question's so stinking good.

Twelve days of Christmas start tomorrow. I'm pumped!

No comments: