In the past week or so I have heard a lot of people say they haven't been enjoying the weather with varying degrees of emphasis or dislike... I generally remain neutral in response. (I firmly believe there is no such thing as "bad" weather. There are unpleasant and inconvenient kinds of weather - even deadly! - but I'd never call any of it "bad" as if it happened by accident or was somehow wrong.) I will admit I can only go so many days without missing the sunshine terribly and damp jeans are not the most comfortable thing one can be stuck wearing.
This evening, walking from building to bus stop thrice in a two-hour window I very much enjoyed the rainfall. People call this weather "crappy" or "terrible" but tonight I couldn't see it. I stayed on my doorstep for an extra minute before going inside to squeeze out the last ounce of enjoyment cos who knows when I'll be rained on again? It's refreshing and beautiful and I can't not love the One who made it.
Happy I got to thank my boss today for something that's important and that he deserves to be commended for. It didn't all come out right...but he understood quickly, and even read what I was getting at before I was able to say it overtly.
I want an iPad (I think).
Doesn't really make sense to say more than once in a day "that made my day" but I want to say it three times today. :)
Firstly, I got someone to play the bass line from Cee Lo Green's "Forget You" by reciting eleven letters across a stage... and he got it. The flippin prodigy figured it out and I have commissioned him to have it perfected by Sunday (when our paths will next cross). I don't call him a prodigy because he can play the bass from letter names but because of how extreme his progress has been with learning the bass these past few months and how today during rehearsal he told me he didn't need me to transpose his music...he could figure it out himself (!!). Transposing is actually not that difficult but he's new and uh...well he must be brilliant in ways I didn't realize before. I was highly impressed. But that's not the point.
The point is that he indulged me in my desire to play the funk out of that song and I am looking forward to Sunday. I dropped some chords and sang most of the chorus right there in the sanctuary.. I'm OK with that. The three sixty-year-old Baptist men eight feet away from me seemed mildly entertained by the sound of it and I was relieved to find they didn't recognize the song, exactly. Asked the bassist at first if he knew a song called "Forget You" because he doesn't get rhythmic notation that well yet and I wanted to take a shortcut. He said no but that he could look it up. I said that "Forget You" is what it's called on the radio but the real version has a different word that starts with F. "Ohh," he nods knowingly. I laugh.
We half-discuss when we could try it and I ask if he's in a rush to go. He smiles, "You wanna do it right now?" I cover up my huge grin with the binder I'm holding and nod vigorously. I recite and he plays the first three notes. My face lights up even more (if that's possible). I continue reciting and by the fourth & final line I'm pumping my fist in excitement. :)
It made me happy. It was nice.
Second day-maker was at a coffee shop. The cashier gave me two stamps for my loyalty card when I only bought one drink. I goggled, "did you just give me two stamps???" and he replied an almost mischievous, "Yeah..." that had a hint of a friendly "duh" somewhere underneath it. I was speechless for a moment, only communicating gratitude non-verbally while swiping my plastic payment and he continued, "Is that OK? [I nod late...catching up with the moment.] Do you want me to take it back? [I shake my head] Are you going to complain??" [I laugh and he FINALLY cracks a smile, possibly the first I've ever seen from him in all the months/years I've patronized the shop.]
"No, no," I finally stammer. "I'm going to say 'thank you'." He accepts. Still a bit bewildered - not because the gesture itself is grand but because any other time I have been served by him he is cool and efficient to the point of being robotic or emotionless, which I don't particularly mind; it's just what I've become accustomed to - I fumble through the rest of the transaction and then disappear, smiley, smiley, smiling.
Thirdly, my friend's niece took her first step.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment