I'm sitting under generous shade at the bus stop listening to Queen and typing this blog post. In real life it's about 28 degrees out but the shade and the wind....OH, the shade and the wind. :) This is mad comfortable.
Thanks, God.
That guy who went out of his way to say Hi to me a couple weeks ago did it again yesterday. I can't believe it. Long line-up and he's on his way to the door but turns around, catches my eye, mouths, "Hi, Sweetie," and winks at me. He doesn't know me at all. I don't know what he's talking about.
My most favoritest work friend - my most favoritest because HE MAKES ME LAUGH ... so much and so real-ly (if you know me, it's that extremely loud & obnoxious laugh that you can't make sense of) and because he is overflowing with common sense* - was in several times yesterday, which is typical for Monday. I was praying he'd be around cos he was the person who snapped at me last Monday as he had a bad start to the day after a weekend of crappy sleep. I clammed up at the time, too shocked to respond to his entirely uncharacteristic shortness. I've been hoping to get back to normal; to not be strained.
*It's tan-2006-Toyota-Camary-at-age-32 common sense sensible. Great work ethic; no-nonsense when he should be. If I didn't know his real mame I'd say he was the Sammy from "Spread Your Wings". He has an inner rockstar or Maximus Aurellius, or something.
Yesterday was not EXACTLY back to normal but it was good. What struck me, however was how well he could read me. His common sense is like my breath of fresh air and so I tend to engage with him often and deliberately. We actually bring or save things to show one another, to get an opinion or a laugh. Yesterday I had to keep telling myself to refrain from engaging or initiating (really cos I didn't want to have my head bitten off again) though I was still friendly and present. I mostly failed at holding back; he's too much fun.
Finally manage to cut it back to "Hello again" (as it was the fourth or fifth trip) and his reply - if I heard correctly - makes me want to laugh.
My face is twisting up trying not to laugh or smile cryptically while he is signing. But he catches me. He stretches out a "whaaaaaat?" It undoes the last defense and I laugh through a big smile. It is not the first time he's had to ask what I'm laughing at. I shake my head to comminicate, "Nothing," but he insists. He says, "I know you got something... I can see somehing up there brewing..."
[Editor's Note: I have obviously been away from writing for a while as I just now thought I could let those quotes stand on their own, as if anyone reading could hear the tone and see the facial expression as I can.]
His tone showed he expected me to supply answers. It was clear that it wasn't "nothing".
I was impressed that he knew I brewed. I do. Something was definitely coming down the pipe. I asked him to repeat what he'd said to my greeting and it wasn't what I thought. I explained that I thought he'd said, "Hello, Clarisse," like Hannibal Lecter said in The Silence of the Lambs (1991). It was also the second time he's done it ... but I strangely don't remember the context.
He laughs and then does his bang-up impression. I CRINGED SO BAD. Involuntarily twitched the whole left side of my self like you do when someone whispers in that sensitive pocket of your neck.
He continues with a creepier and more audible, "Can you hear the lambs, Clarisse?" I twitch and laugh, "You're making me cringe!" and he laughs LOUDLY as he leaves. I am still trying to shake the sound out of my head/neck after he's gone. My boss looked at me funny.
I think we'll be OK.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment