Thursday, 28 July 2011

You know what's funny?

On Tuesday I was chatting with someone about work and mentioned how much I like having real conversations with customers. It is one reason why I like the evening shifts (there is more time to talk).
I was trying to make the point that, in the absence of me being able to share the Gospel properly, I appreciate that the things I do naturally make people twig.

>I serve them well because they are people and people are inherently valuable.
[Behind the scenes, I serve well becaue I work as if working for the Lord. He loves people more than I ever could.]

>I ask questions that I care about the answers to because I CAN'T DO superficial.
[Secretly, I want the opportunity to share Christ with them. Less secretly, I just like talking to people and hearing their stories.]

>I go above and beyond because I can't do less.
[Truthfully, it costs me nothing. The opportunity to treat YOU as God treated me is invaluable and I seize it joyfully.]

So, on Tuesday as I explained my experience and my hopes, I said, with a touch of frustration, "I just wish someone would ask me WHY," because it's NOT that I'm a nice person. I can't be nice. Sigh.


Can you imagine, early in my shift, both my bosses turned incredulously to watch me hand bus tickets to someone from my wallet and one of them asked, "Why do you do these things?"??

I tell you I was dead surprised. I didn't know how to answer in the tiny window I had. I shrugged... I said, "He needs it and I have it... It's very simple." That is true... I guess that's not all of it but it's a start and I'll take it.

No comments: