Sunday, 2 October 2011

Lady Antebellum sound to be not bad.

Day Two:

-The wedding was wow. Shortest ceremony I've ever witnessed (maybe 25 minutes?) and the only time I've heard a recessional with predominant banjos.

-She's great (first met her today).

-Such centrepieces and décor I have never seen. I was so inspired - creatively, artistically, photographishly, weddingly and even literarily. I won't describe; I'll just upload a million photos.

-I don't remember the last time I felt so relaxed at a wedding. I mean... I didn't think or worry about the reception where I would know two people (but one of them I met yesterday) and expected to get time with neither. I didn't care about trying to make conversation, or being quiet or trying to not be intimidating. Just went with it and had great fun. I was seated at one of the head tables with half the bridal party which was new, fun and meant I DID get to speak with the other person I knew. I laughed a lot (as hoped!).

-Met someone new that was easy to talk to. Both dads were awesome. Only one mildly awkward sex joke.

-Felt really happy to be there (as in, fully present & undistracted -- RARE for me at weddings) and honored all over again that I was invited. Trying to explain how I knew the groom was continually difficult. We met at a five-day conference three summers ago, we visited for a week later that winter, another short conference the next summer and...well that's it. I have probably not seen him for more than twenty days in my life. There is email, Facebook and instant messaging... but it was really the first 5am chat that forged some deep alliance. It's...something. I thank God for him.

-The first part of the day was wonderful. I felt like I was sleeping in late but on Mountain time it was not even 9am before a continental breakfast was being wolfed down my throat. I was more disappointed than I thought I'd be about the lack of hot food (eggs, hashies and particularly baked beans). I really wanted baked beans. I think that an advert I saw for Brown's brand baked beans just before sleeping last night led me to look forward to them all while I slumbered. Ah, well.

-Marched down a partially sidewalked and mostly undeveloped road, and then through cookie-cutter Spanish-looking (murderously expensive) house clusters, to eventually find a few shops, restos and a café in a strip mall. I tend to enjoy the everyday more than the tourist attractions so this was good for me. I like being on my own and exploring, so doing it in a foreign culture adds challenge, something like intrigue and it energizes me. It's cheap & simple and I like it.

-The (tiny sliver of) work I brought with me has not once emerged from its spot at the very bottom of my bag. I keep pushing work-related tasks, questions and emails out of my brain because I REFUSE to be the "over-worked American" I keep hearing about who takes his laptop on vacation. Anyways, what's made a difference is PLANNING for this trip to include rest and inherently giving myself permission to refrain from working, guilt-free. So, it doesn't matter. I'm not getting any work done and it doesn't matter. :)

OK, I sent two emails. But they were quick and time-sensitive.

-It was a good afternoon. I was able to journal, look stuff up, and pick up a few needed things (like nasal decongestant) and non-needed (like a USC water bottle). It was great to be in a coffee shop with no agenda or curfew... It was relaxing! How to describe??


My body is begging for sleep.

[PST]

No comments: