MOOD
Standing in the perfect cold of late April, a lightly packed bag on my shoulder, waiting for the bus home with sore soles, listening to Amos Lee, I feel perfectly happy. I think I feel like a perfect nobody, ignored by the crowd around me and location unknown to any of my friends & family.
I don't feel like I've escaped the unpleasant or difficult bits of my life but that this is a small breather which I am not taking for granted.
I am further pleased that I can sleep in tomorrow.
I passed on a 10-minute lift in favor of this 30-minute bus trek because I don't feel like talking.
//
FRAME
I'll be working mostly in the afternoon for the next two weeks, just as I did this week. When I was first asked, I think I faintly winced but I didn't have any solid reason to refuse. The thrill of the unknown encouraged me slightly. (NEVER know what will happen on the late shift.)
→ Once it was settled, I took comfort knowing that this meant more time with Miserable S____ who is an afternooner through and through. Six more opportunities than usual.
On TUESDAY
•What I didn't expect but was quickly confronted with on Tuesday, the first late shift, was that I missed seeing all the regulars that aren't around in the mornings. People who work later in the day, generally, are MUCH more chill than those working earlier which changes the nature of conversations and acquaintanceships.
•Three people called hello to me by name and none of them was in line or being served by me. They just hollered across the store. :)
•I got to talk shop with one of the guys who bets via ProLine occasionally, plays ball locally and has jaded-realistic fanship with the Toronto Blue Jays. He called Bautista my "hero" when mentioning his recent dinger and he was so oddly facetious about it! I corrected him on the heroship.
•I was able also to listen to the Jays game in full (like I did tonight), to catch up on Twitter and send some important emails.
On THURSDAY
Tonight I had a breakthrough in what I've been working on for weeks with my other job which turned out to be a real pick-me-up.
The highlight of the night was probably when Pats fan S____ came in mid-shift and stayed to chat with me for about 40 minutes. He even bought me tea. I don't think I enjoy being habitually called "Sunshine" more by anyone else.
He is one of a handful of people who get to see me at my most friendly, most relaxed, most exuberant, most kind, most smiley and most outwardly joyful.
[unplanned transparent departure]
I think I like the "Sunshine" handle because it seems to reflect that list of traits (for which sole credit can only go to Jesus). I'm happy if you interact with me and you notice the things that are different about me because I know Jesus. He's worth knowing and reflecting.
[end departure]
Side-perk: S____ gave me some starting points for my country music foray. I told him I had decided yesterday that I should stop hating the genre and he laughed. I asked for some names hoping for two or three and hoping for names I didn't recognise. He gave me seven and I've heard of three. I'm eager to start sampling.
LATE ADDITION TO POST:
--
END BIT
Because the late shift means I can live like a night person AND because I'm not doing uni courses presently, I feel like I'm on vacation. It's wonderful to FEEL like you're off work when you're not.
No comments:
Post a Comment