Thursday, 19 April 2012

something theoretically noteworthy

About a month ago I passed my two-year anniversary at my music-related job and didn't realise it til later in the week.  I kept making a note about how I need to blog about it, to reflect on the twenty-four months but I alternated between over-thinking it and under-thinking it.

At the time I realised the anniversaryness, I was so frustrated with work that I refused to blog and have my whole stay colored by one rough week/day/month/whatever it was.

Now, I've lost the spirit of commemoration and remembrance but let's give it a college try.

  •  I am pleased that I appear to have grown into the job and to have learned much about managing people, managing administration work and leading musically.  It feels like a good job and it mostly feels like a real job.  I enjoy it.
  • I have been enjoying the creative outlet I'm afforded by the job more and more and more and more lately.  I have an idea, I plan it out, we execute and it often goes well.  I've never regretted a choice for creative innovation, no matter how poorly it panned out.
  • I continue hoping for the opportunity to offer individual mentorship and essentially permission to tweak.

  • I've learned to let things go. 
  • I've learned to let things go.
  • I have so much more ground to cover in terms of letting things go.

  • I get frustrated often and I am tired of picking my battles.  I frequently feel handcuffed, brickwalled, glass-ceiling-ed, isolated, indignant and angry.  Sometimes I am wrong.  Sometimes I am right.
  • I dream of progress and yearn for it weekly.
  • I wonder what the calendar looks like.  I wonder what people's hearts look like.
  • I would like to give up and I would like to persist.  (I end up thinking about one Sunday or Wednesday at a time.)
That is the end of my post.  The conclusion is that I like my job.  It is both very challenging and delightful.  I'm grateful for it.

No comments: