Tuesday, 3 July 2012

(another off the list)

J__ was back to his old self today.  Wow.  I was smiling secretly to myself quite a bit when I was stocking cigarettes between breaks of talking to him.  Before he came in I had decided I wouldn't ask about his mum because I've made that the FIRST thing I've asked about the last three weeks and since part of his answer always includes how it's weighing on his mind I thought I could let him bring it up. 
When I went to say hello (I had no customers) I blurted out how I had finally seen The Avengers (2012).  We'd been talking about it since it opened (how he went with his son and loved it, how I need to go see it, how his son has now seen it five times, how I need to see it, how great it is, and so forth) and I wanted to share.

He was in a good mood.  He was more present than he has been lately, more patient and funny.  He was making me laugh with silly comments and even some slapstick.  The Old J__ was back!  We had fun. His mum is better; she's out of the ICU and he's on vacation within three days.

He shared with me more than he realised in a handful of sentences about the movie Constantine (2005), the Bible and the Quran.  It made me immensely sad. 


I guess I knew a bit of where he stood from past conversations but I did think him more neutral than this.  It's ...sucky but I'm trying to churn the sadness into compassion and kindness (and the drive to keep investing in the relationship).

--

Last week a hard-working young man, his 40-foot truck parked by the diesel pump, came in and asked if someone had turned in a credit card the day before.  I told him I hadn't seen one and then I looked in the lost-and-found.  He told me this was the last place he thinks they had it.  I could see that it was not going to go well for him once he had to report to the boss that yes, they had certainly lost the corporate credit card.  Even his body language, leaning on the counter, was like he was begging for me to find it.

I asked for some distinguishing features as I rooted through the miles of cards but I didn't have the one he sought.  Because he took a second to absorb the information before walking away and because I was feeling ambitious, I pulled out a small, extremely pink child's accessory and I said seriously, "But I do have some Hello Kitty sunglasses, if that might help..." 

He just looked at me at first, like his ears had lied. He his disbelief became incredulous amusement and his short laugh showed he was experiencing comic relief.  Score.  So glad I didn't chicken out.

So glad for small moments at work that make it fun and sort of take me outside of what I'm doing.

No comments: