Tuesday, 24 July 2012

some blip of a blog post

After Saturday's game, we were leaving the park with hordes of other fans and a busker began playing "Take Me out to the Ball Game" on the flute.  We were just about to cross the street, half a block away when I turned and pointed saying, "She played that wrong!" before my common sense could remind me to keep such things to myself.  I continued... "She missed the sharp four!" sounding quite indignant.

She did play a diatonic note where there should have been a non-diatonic one but
a) it was actually a sharp five she missed, I just didn't take more than a nanosecond to think it through
b) really, me??, and
c) I need to find another outlet/use for my incessant tonal analysis.

On Monday during the drive back I told my friend that when she'd veered onto those hey, wake up! strips on the side of the highway (I guess they're actually grooves) that they made the subdominant of the song we were currently listening to off Adele's 21 (2011).  She said, "Huh," in an I-think-you-know-better-than-to-expect-me-to-understand-or-be-impressed-by-that kind of way which is fair enough.


After that Saturday flute comment my friend demanded, "Who notices that??" and I returned, "I notice all tonal things around me!  I think about it all the time!  When was the last time I got to sing or play the piano?! I need an outlet!" my volume and mock-agitation increasing as the rant continued.  But, to my relief, her small smile grew as I "explained" which gave me hope that she may be able to perceive a sensible love of music somewhere at the root of my weirdness and shouting (and yes, showing off).


I thought of this because I have been singing on and off since I got home almost three hours ago and none of it has properly satisfied.  (I don't mind waiting at this point because I know there's a piano in my near (TOMORROW!) future and I will go to town.)  But... it's a weird thing.  It's like I can only last so long without outward music-ing but of course I don't notice it til I'm in withdrawl.

During my five days away, I could only sing in the car IF there was a song on that I knew AND it wouldn't distract my friend.  I also had to sing quietly to minimize obnoxiousness so it was.. better than nothing but difficile.  Guess now this is Day 7 without piano and unrestricted singing.

Dash it. I'm gonna pull out "Someone Like You" lyrics right now. I don't even care.

No comments: