Sunday, 26 August 2012

Now it feels so unnatural.

Not only have I failed to compose or publish blog posts in the last few weeks but I haven't even thought about blogging or felt the need to blog.

I really hope this is a short season (and that it's not a choice of mine) because I would be sad if I became apathetic about blogging entirely.  I've been without computer access for a few weeks and because I can't blog via my smart phone I guess I just cordoned off the option in my mind.  I think that's what happened.  I hope that's what happened.  I like the word "cordoned".  I wonder if anyone's ever written a sentence in which Gordon cordoned but didn't do it just for the fun rhyme.


I'm in our local church building right now because I'm (passively) supervising a party in one of our rooms.  It's a party for the daughter of a friend of a guy I know from work.  Yes.

I needed to be on site during all the time the party peeps spend here so I drew up a list of things I've been meaning to do (particularly things to do with my job) so that while I was forced to stay in one room I might get those things done.  This idea tickled me.  These are good things that I need to get done.


Five hours later I realise that many of the tasks are so similar that switching from one to another for a sort of break doesn't work.  I thought blogging (while I've got access to a laptop) would provide a good break.  It is. 

One of my tasks is to sort wheat from chaff in our music repertoire.  I have a two-inch binder that should be an exhaustive collection and I'm matching it against the master binder which is exhaustive.  I'm throwing out songs that are terrible (usually they need to be theologically terrible but they can be poetically terrible too, i.e. cheesy, and sometimes I throw them out because the melody is a soggy gym sock of artistic choice), collecting songs I need to add to my binder to make it complete, collecting songs I'd like to work into upcoming services (that list is delightfully long), and collecting songs I would like to try or to learn.  It's a fun process. 

It scores well with many of my enjoyables (like systems, lists, paring, musical (and literary) analysis, ruminating on truths about Jesus) and it will make my job easier.  I'll be WELL happy to be rid of the chaff.  I first started this process last August and have been putting it off for thirteen hundred reasons.  New leaf, baby.  It's time for some new leaves.

Today I've gone from the middle of the Cs to the middle of the Is.... and while that's not stellar it's good.  And I hope to get to the midpoint of our alphabet before I leave this place about four hours from now.

At one point I needed a break because the part of my brain that's trained in sight-reading was tired.  That...has maybe never happened.  It's... great.  I welcome, welcome, welcome the challenge.
OK, maybe I didn't forget how to blog.  That felt OK.  So... what?  I click "Publish" now?

No comments: