My wake-up text came at 5.33 and I replied, "Morning. Is it Friday?" Perhaps that's how I feel. I thought about stuff, turned off my alarm, turned off the heat, rolled over and accidentally fell back asleep. Yes. Three minutes after six and I woke up again (on what trigger, I don't know).
Ooh. I just remembered the NHL trade deadline (....as if even those words mean anything to me). I think I will try to care for the next two days and do a bit of research. I'll see where it takes me.
J (the elder) hasn't woken up yet and I'm OK with it. These brothers provoke one another so when they're separated it generally makes a night-and-day difference. I appreciate it. B is having epic ninja cavern battles (in a free game he downloaded to my iPhone) and I took a break from journalling to blog(galing). Private journal to public joural, I guess. [I wonder how many people have named their public journal "Captain's Log" or "Captain's Blog". That's now funny to me.]
Hmm. If I could ever teach these kids to find their indoor voices, I'd be happy.
I miss Stephen Colbert. Apparently my brain is now sifting random bits of code. I guess I went to sleep too quickly last night. I don't mind. Any mood but devastated-sad is fine by me.
--
OK.
I think I just discovered something epic. I just took a break where those hyphens are to write a couple sentences in the private journal that's still lying in front of me aaaand now I don't have to swallow my unpublishable thoughts or put them on ice til I'm done typing. Everything gets to come out, I just have to shift between Column A and Column B. This could be the start of a beautiful process. Yum.
---
The Blue Jays lost last night. I'm not too broken up about it but I'm slightly miffed. I want to see how this season will go. It snuck up on me!
---
It was on Sunday afternoon that I started looking forward to going to going to the apologetics-ish class that we've had two weeks of. There were two Friday-Saturday combos in March, a break for Easter weekend and then we're on this Friday-Satty again.
It's weird that my anticipation came back spontaneoushly, not like my anticipation built over the 13 days instead of six. I suppose it could be that I was so tunnel-vision focussed on our Easter Sunday service that I could only think about the class when that service was over.
Anyways, I'm excited and I don't even know how to put it into words. (I hope the information sinks in and that I use it well.) The course is taught by my boss, who is possibly the most consistently engaging speaker I've ever known personally.
Yesterday (just a little Tuesday), I was in the auditorium working from the desktop computer. My boss came in to check out something on the stage. Our coworker came in later, probably half-looking for our boss (they had a meeting soon) and half-looking to not be working. He sat in a pew near the back, waiting and using his phone. When my boss was done what he was doing and started heading out, I asked if I could quest him something. (Those were my words and he didn't blink.)
I handed him a copy of the Holy Bible in the New International Version and asked how much of a problem it would be for me to stop reading at a certain point in a psalm. I showed him which psalm, telling him I've heard it's bad to take verses out of context and choosing to omit the context I wanted the psalm for, knowing he woud figure it out easily. He answers on about three different levels (my favourite kind of answer!).
He speaks long enough that it makes sense for me to take a seat in the pew next to my coworker while our boss perches on the back of the pew behind him, Captain Morgan-ing the pew in front. He sits casually in a teaching position as the two of us casually sit to listen. My coworker is back and forth between the phone and the speaker but I am on the edge of my seat literally, I have another NIV in my hand to follow along and I'm vaguely conscious about how I'm breaking eye-contact far less than normal. I'm not making him uncomfortable and I'm not doing it on purpose, I just feel like a shrivelled and almost cracked sponge that's been submerged into cool water.
I'm soaking it up and hanging on every word, sitting still in the hopes that if I don't stir, I won't remind him he eventually has to stop and go back to his day. I'm aware this is a kind of teaser for the Friday-Saturday classes I'm longing for and I'm so glad for this impromptu Tuesday that will tide me over til then. Seriously. A parched sponge baking in the sun. Oasis.
Don't look back in anger.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment