I seem to never be able to get over flowers. I think they're beautiful without cause--but I mean that in a worshipful way! They seem beautiful just because they're beautiful. I don't understand much of how beauty works and why humans "get it" but I think I can surmise at the very minimum that we recognise beauty for the same reason we recognise life and pleasure and joy. It's been written in us by God because those things are derived from Him. And we are from Him. And we belong with Him and we desire Him*.
Yes, I understand about bright colors of flowers attracting insects that pollinate and all that but God could have made them attractive to insects but not to us. (Don't even get me started on the wonders of pollination.)
*Yes, I also understand that man's "desire" for God is questionable at best. Apart from Christ's saving work we were purely rebellious and hateful. But even those in Christ often make choices as if they didn't desire God after all. Sometimes His call to joy and freedom and better and good is one we prefer to ignore, suppress, reject.
This photo might be working against the point I want to make but I thought it was worth sharing anyways. I have never seen a dandelion mutated like this. There are two heads grown together! (It makes me a little more amazed by how many things are necessary for flowers (or animals or people) to turn out right.)
When I study flora I feel as taken and impressed as when I study a good painting, quilt, poem, blueprint, song, play, etc. I look and stare and look closer and stare and wonder...just wonder how someone got all those ideas and figured out all those details and took the time and care to put it together so impeccably. Flowers are simply remarkable and so much more is the Great Artist!
No comments:
Post a Comment